Mac Pro 1,1 seems to blow graphics cards

Reaction score
Hi all, any help would be great.
I am still running an old Mac Pro 1,1 with logic 9, I have 32gb ram in there, 1x SSD, 3x HDD, 2x dvd-r and I had the upgraded ATI Radeon 5770 gfx card in theren and was running Catalina.
This was running fine like this for like 3 years, no issues at all.

It is not my day to day machine, I just keep it running as I have alot of old logic projects still on it that don't migrate too well, I used to use it maybe 4-5 days a month, without a problem.

I use a mini Mac M1 for latter logic and a i7 pc for cubase so the Pro gets minimal run time, thought I'd take it easy on the old girl.

Now to the issue, last week I turned it on, and the power light stayed solid and it didn't boot, turned it off, turned it on again and the Apple logo appeared and I could smell an electrical burning smell, so I pulled the power lead out mid boot.

I opened it up and the smell was strong, I checked the ram, took out riser cards, no visible damage, or smell I took out the ATI gfx card and and as you now you can't see much but it did smell.
I put the original gfx card I still had in, plugged it in and it booted up into Catalina, no problems, yes had the odd scrolling black line up the screen but thought that is due to Catalina needing the more powerful card but to be honest, it cleared up after a few mins and I could run logic, no problems.
I used the machine for about 3 hours with no problem.

I powered it down, and maybe 4 days later I turned it on again to lift some vocals and burn some songs to cd.

Mid cd burn the screen went black and I could smell that electric smell again, however it was much fainter.
So pulled power again.

I could see a red light on inside through the front grille what I've never seen before.

I contacted the Mac repair and they basically told me it's obsolete and to get a new Mac Pro.
Now, my thoughts are it's a PSU issue as it appears to have fried 2 graphics cards, but before I go and find a replacement psu and gxf card.
Can anyone offer any sound advice, based on experience if possible.

I really don't want to do any further damage to it, but would really like to have it running again.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Dave

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I contacted the Mac repair and they basically told me it's obsolete and to get a new Mac Pro.
In case didn't know...Apple considers anything that's 7 years or older (from the time Apple stopped selling it)...to be obsolete.
Now, my thoughts are it's a PSU issue as it appears to have fried 2 graphics cards, but before I go and find a replacement psu and gxf card.
Can anyone offer any sound advice, based on experience if possible.
PSU would have been my first guess too....especially considering its age. I've messed with (an continue to mess with)...these old Mac Pro's. I have a 2006 1,1 Mac Pro, two 2008 1,3 Mac Pro's, and a 2010 5,1 Mac Pro.

You definitely have this 1,1 Mac Pro "tricked out" running Catalina...especially since according to most info out there...Catalina's not supposed to be able to run on Mac Pro 5,1's (officially Mojave is the max OS)...let alone Mac Pro 1,1's! And even to run Mojave on Mac Pro 5,1's...need a "metal compatible" graphics card.

The 5770 is not "metal compatible"...thus amazing you have Catalina running on this Mac Pro 1,1!;) Anyways...must have jumped thru some serious "hoops" (including modifying the firmware)...to get Catalina running this 1,1 Mac Pro!

If it is the PSU...one test I usually like to do is strip the computer of all the "extra stuff" that's been upgraded that may draw extra power from the PSU. Then boot the computer with only one drive, minimum RAM, and lowest power video card possible. Not sure if you have any more video cards to test with after frying 2 video cards so far.

If it is the PSU...the bad news is you can pretty much forget about getting a brand new replacement PSU (either can't find any...or they are SUPER expensive)! Pretty much what's available are used PSU's (tested & untested)...and if used...they are usually pulls from "working machines"...but there's no idea how many hours they have on them.

$75-$125 is what I usually see for a used Mac Pro PSU (PSU's for Mac Pro 1,1; 3,1; and 5,1 are different).

End of the day...if you REALLY need to use Logic 9 (and Logic 9 works with Catalina)...my advice would be to purchase a used Mac Pro 5,1 (I got mine for about $250)...or purchase a working Mac Pro 1,1 (hopefully under $100)...or 3,1 (for under $200). Then "Mod" them to run Catalina (as maybe you've done before).

Last I checked...ATI 5770 video cards can be snapped up for as little as $50-$55 (eBay)...thus $100 to $250 for a used Mac Pro (eBay) is not too bad.

HTH,

Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Nick, many thanks for your advice, many wise words there.

And you are correct, no I don't have another gfx card lol..

And, honestly, I don't know what metal compatible is, excuse my ignorance, but I will find out.

The Catalina install was simple, more simple than you would think, I would name the place or person whom I followed, but I don't know if it's allowed here.

I will investigate a 5.1 or another old pro as you advise. as I still like the silver beast, **** I still have an old g4 quicksilver laying about unused, It won't be the same without her.
Trouble is I am on a wee little island in the med and there are not many here, so may have to chuck 1 in a crate next time I'm in the UK.

Are there and diagnostic or schematics for the PSU you know of, that I can check voltages against, or have the electronics guy do?

Thanks again Nick.
Dave

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Trouble is I am on a wee little island in the med and there are not many here, so may have to chuck 1 in a crate next time I'm in the UK.
Ooh yes...we have members in unusual locations all over the world.:). Definitely understand how being in locations like this can be difficult to get a computer serviced...a computer repaired...or get parts for DIY projects.
Are there and diagnostic or schematics for the PSU you know of, that I can check voltages against, or have the electronics guy do?
When I was searching the internet for Mac Pro power supply troubleshooting...I didn't come across a ton of info on DEEP troubleshooting.

Here's some:

Pin out guide:

Super great Mac Pro website:

http://blog.greggant.com/posts/2018/05/07/definitive-mac-pro-upgrade-guide.html

If you're really looking for a serious DIY project...I previously came across at least a couple procedure's where the users adapted a common & inexpensive ATX power supply used in Windows computers...for use in a Mac Pro.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to re-find them. But I know they're out there. I'll keep looking.:)

Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Superb, I shall get my metre out and pull the PSU and see what I get, hopefully a simple cap or resistor failure is causing irregular voltages.

Will keep you posted,
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.