Mac OS 9: error -110

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac OS X 10.2.8 & 2GB iPodnano
I just bought a $5 iMac that's running OS 9 that the owner said "had a problem" but couldn't tell me anything else. For $5, I thought I might take a chance, especially as it turned on in the store with no problems.

Everything seemed fine, went through all the applications/files/etc until I clicked on Users and then clicked on a folder in there that said test.

The error messages says error of type -110, which I read means "memAdrERR: Address was odd or out of range"

Don't currently have a keyboard set up so not sure if it would have been possible to relaunch Finder. Rebooted and no error message.

Any thoughts? Found a few other complaints about it online but no solutions to what seems to be a random and reoccuring problem.
Considering upgrading to OS 10.x. Think that might take care of the problem?

OP
FatRabbit
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, does anybody know how to find out/what the processor speed is on OS 9.2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I'd try running Disk First Aid (which probably won't help, but won't hurt, either.) I'd wager a reinstall of OS 9 would fix the problem, one way or another. (You probably don't need to reformat; just do a clean re-install.) You'll need some OS 9 CDs, if you don't have them.

To find out the CPU speed, you use the System Profiler, which is probably in your Applications or Utilities folder.

An upgrade to OS X might be feasible, depending on how fast your system is and how much memory is installed. I'd say 350MHz and 256MB as the absolute minimum there, but it's your call.

OP
FatRabbit
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Additional questions about memory...

Thanks for the response. I found the processor but unfortently I don't have the OS 9 CDs.

The mac running 9.2 has 400 MHz, G3 with 320 (256 + 64) mb.
I also bought an iMac running 10.4 with 400 MHz G3 with 128 mb in it for $28 (good deal? i thought it sounded good...)

I'm considering switching the memory in the 2 so the newer operating system will have more memory but now I'm looking to pick up some more memory.
Do PCs and Macs use the same type of memory? My dad works mainly with PCs and has extra memory but I'm not sure if it's the same. The memory on the mac running 9.2 is PC100-322S (256) and PC100-222S (64). The memory of the mac running 10.4 is PC100-222S (128) with an empty slot.

Sorry for the questions- first time pulling macs apart! I tend to leave my big one alone in case I break it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Yes, memory is the same, but Macs tend to be a little more sensitive to memory errors than Windows or Linux machines. Sometimes memory that works perfectly well in another PC will cause kernel panics under OS X.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What color is the case? Does it have a DVD drive? Just trying to figure out exactly which iMacs you have there.

Reaction score
You do know about installing firmwear updates on Imac's before you install OS 10? This is for the Imac with OS 9 on it. The slot load Imac use's PC 133,but PC 100 will work ok.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.