Mac Nebie

F

fraites_25

Hello
I am a mac newbie I am looking to purchase a used mac g4 but I want to make sure that I am not buying something that I can't upgrade to do what I need it to do I working for a video company doing some video editing. I need this mac to run final cut pro or express. can you give me some advice

SPECIFICATIONS:

CPU: 500 MHz PPC G4

BUS: 100 MHz.

L2 CACHE: 1 MB.

RAM: 512 MB using four unbuffered 128 PC100 SDRAM, expandable to 1.5 GB in 4 DIMM slots.

AV CARD: none

VRAM: 16 MB

VIDEO: Video: ATI Rage 128 Pro in AGP 2X slot (was Rage 128 prior to December 1999); supports resolutions to 1600x1200 with 32-bit support, VGA connector, and digital video output for Cinema Display.

L2 CACHE: 1 MB 2:1 backside cache

HARD DRIVE: 27 GB 7200 rpm Ultra ATA/66

ZIP DRIVE: Internal 100 MB

FLOPPY DRIVE: none.

DVD-RAM

CONNECTIONS: 4 PCI slots (3 are 64-bit, one is 66 MHz; 66 MHz slot used for video card) * two 400 Mbps FireWire ports * two 12 Mbps USB ports for keyboard, mouse, and peripherals * one ADB port * 10/100Base-T Ethernet connector on back of computer.

Can I make this work for what I want it to do

:eek: Casey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
Those specs don't sound too promising. The processor could be upgraded, but considdering the low spec RAM the machine is configured to use, it wouldn't really be worth it. If you're a patient man, then by all means go for it.

Ideally you should be looking at the minimum, before upgrade, of:

800 MHz PPC G4
512 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
Video card with at least 64 MB VRAM
Firewire 400 port (standard DV Cam)
USB

1 hour of uncompressed, full quality DV requires 13 GB of HD space. If you want to edit that footage you need at least double the amount. If you want to store your edits for a little while whilst you do some more editing you need to tripple/quadruple that. So, for video editing of more than an hour or so, you really shouldn't have any less than 40 GB.

Cheap is good, but you're talking about a video editing machine, not a home office computer. Unfortunately, if you want a Mac to do it, it's gonna cost ya'!

But if you give your budget I'm sure everyone will be willing to offer suggestions as to how to best spend what you can afford.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
If you can get to an Apple supplier, have a look at refurbished models as they offer backing like new ones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I highly recommend you get something higher end than that. Used Macs are notoriously overpriced, and refurbished ones are simply a ripoff. Get a new eMac or something, and hook up an external monitor to it if need be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.