Mac modified hard drive cant be seen by a PC

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently took out all the old tiny hard drives out of my closet and plugged them into my external and erased them all on my Mac, now i go and connect them to a PC and it doesn't see it at all.

Is there anything I can download or do something that can make the PC see them?

Thanks everyone,
Tanner.

Reaction score
You would need to format it in FAT for both the Mac and PC to be able to read/write. It sounds like your drive is formatted in HFS+ which the PC can't see without a utility such as MacDrive.

OP
Tanner31593
Reaction score
Well my PC currently doesn't have windows installed,
I planned on erasing the hard drive on my Mac (which I did),
And then putting the hard drive into my PC and installing windows onto that hard drive,
But when i erase and delete the partitions and then i put the drive into my PC and run Windows XP setup it does not detect the hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Just format it as FAT-32 on the Mac, should work fine on the PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Tanner...when you erased the hard drive I say you have formatted it using Mac HFS+. You need to re format it as Fat 32 for you PC to read the drive. In Windows you frequently have to go into disk mamangement and drive management. There you make the drive active and allow the Win PC to see the drive.
Alternately when you put the install Win disk into the pc, reboot and the installation will take place frm the cd. The system should then guide you through the process if I remember rightly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Maddog is right, I think. When I put my old MacBook drive into a USB case and plugged into the PC, Windows reported the Mac partition as a "GPT protected partition" and wouldn't touch it - no properties, no format or anything. When you erase the drive on the Mac, go to the Partition tab, there's an option in there (I can't remember the details now) which will erase it completely without leaving the hidden Mac partition or anything behind. Then you can format it on the PC.

I'll look it up and post the details of that Partition tab.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Guys, he's having a problem getting Windows setup to recognize the drives, not Windows itself. Technically, the partition type should have no effect on setup finding the drive itself as then he would be able to delete the HFS+ partition and recreate a FAT32 or NTFS one.

Tanner, what sort of drives are these? Are they IDE (long connector) or SATA (small connector)? Are the drives enabled in the BIOS (this is especially important with SATA drives)?

Give us a bit more information and we'll try our best to help you out. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Just a thought...have you looked at the jumper settings on the drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Guys, he's having a problem getting Windows setup to recognize the drives, not Windows itself. Technically, the partition type should have no effect on setup finding the drive itself as then he would be able to delete the HFS+ partition and recreate a FAT32 or NTFS one.

If Windows itself won't touch a GPT protected partition I'd say is a dead cert that Windows Setup won't either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
It could be two things which are both mentioned. Check the jumper setting to make sure the main drive you want to use is set to master and any others set to slave. As for formatting them on your Mac, make sure they are formatted using the MS-DOS setting and not Mac Journaled or anything like that. It is the only one that a PC will read so you can install a fresh copy of Windows on them.
PM me if you need any more explanation.
Bryan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.