Mac mini only boots in safe mode

Reaction score
Hello All-

I have a late 2012 Mac mini that I just started having some issues with. I woke up and it was running terribly slow, restarted and it would not boot. I ran disk utility, everything seemed fine, it booted in safe mode fine, but nothing would go when I loaded it up regularly.

I took it into Genius Bar, only for an hour and a half later for them to tell me that hard drive was fine and memory was fine. I had backed up all my information and the tech actually restored the computer back to latest version of Sierra. Once we wiped it and tried to restart, it did not boot normally. It did boot in safe mode. To that end, the tech told me he has never seen anything like it and "well at least you could still kinda work it in safe mode." We know the features you lose out on when in safe mode, but I'm trying to address it and fix whatever I can.

It is either that or I need to hear that I should cut my losses and look for different options.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

I would take it back to the genius bar and get another opinion. It sure sounds like the hard drive is failing. In the meantime, keep up with your backups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It sure sounds like the hard drive is failing.

Booting from the backup drive or a good known source should provide an answer to that would it not???

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.