Mac mini M1 picks up less wifi than Android phone...

Reaction score
Hi. My study is located apport. 15 ft from the router (with concrete walls and wooden doors in between) and my Android phone picks up WAY more signal than my 2021M1 mini (in the exact same spot). I mean that most of the time, the download speed indicated in the test app is over 50% higher on the phone than on the Mac. Which makes the intervent experience somewhat annoying at times... On the Mac, I mean. Does anybody have any idea way this is happening and how I can fix it?
My mini runs Ventura 13.0.1
No monkey business in my system, it's fairly simple and I had the same problem with my Imac before I switched to Mini.
Thanks

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm not really helping in this, but for the record, the latest version of Ventura is 13.3.1

It is just within the realms of possibility that having the latest version of Ventura may improve your WiFi problem. Best to try that first?:)

Ian

krs

Reaction score
Hi. My study is located apport. 15 ft from the router (with concrete walls and wooden doors in between) and my Android phone picks up WAY more signal than my 2021M1 mini
Can you be a bit more specific?
What WiFi level are you getting at the Mini?
What S/N?
What WiFi band are you using?
Does orienting the Mini differently make a difference?
What are the actual speeds you're getting?

Reaction score
Placement is important. The WI-FI antennas are located at the bottom of the mini so avoid metal objects that block this region.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Is the router a dual band like mine? I have 5G and 2.4G bands, my iPhone picks the strongest while my MBP uses 2.4G in the bedroom and 5G in the lounge but I have to swap manually.

Reaction score
...Does anybody have any idea way this is happening and how I can fix it?

macOS has wireless diagnostic capabilities built in.

Hold down the option key and click on the WiFi icon in the menu bar, then select "Open Wireless Diagnostics...".

Go to the Window menu and choose Scan.

The report will give you the Best 2.4 Ghz and the Best 5 bGhz channel.

Once you have those, log into your router (entering (bad link removed) into your web browser will probably work) poke around in WiFi settings and figure out how to change the channel.

Here is an Apple Document setting out how to investigate and solve WiFi issues on a Mac.
How to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity
Scroll down to: "Symptom: The Wi-Fi network seems slow"

If none of the above works for you, you can scan your immediate WiFi environment and find the best placement for your Mac and other wireless devices with:

iStumbler ($15)

OP
R
Reaction score
WOW! Franky, I didn't expect so many answers. Thank you all. I'm going to try all your suggestions and will let you know if they helped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
macOS has wireless diagnostic capabilities built in.

Hold down the option key and click on the WiFi icon in the menu bar, then select "Open Wireless Diagnostics...".

Go to the Window menu and choose Scan.
All these snippets of information, hidden somewhere, but too many to remember, very useful :)

Reaction score
All these snippets of information, hidden somewhere, but too many to remember, very useful :)
I have hundreds of them that I keep in a database.

I was thinking of publishing all of them in a book, but a friend actually did that, and the book was not a big seller. So at this point I don't think that I'll ever do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I was thinking of publishing all of them in a book, but a friend actually did that, and the book was not a big seller. So at this point I don't think that I'll ever do that.

Just the thought of having to do all the various revisions needed with all of Apple's various updates and OS changes would be enough to put anyone off doing so I would think. ;-)

- Patrick
=======

krs

Reaction score
I have hundreds of them that I keep in a database.

I have been thinking to suggest to the admin of this forum to consider setting up a resource section.
Many types of questions come up over and over again, so instead of someone having to post the information again, one can just point to the resource info.

In this case for example how to access the Mac built-in WiFi diagnostics which gives signal level, noise level, S/N ratio, band and channel used etc.
I have been using a Mac since, it seems, forever and only discovered that WiFi diagnostic that provides real measured values, a few years ago.
"Get Info" is also a very useful tool that a lot of "newbies" may miss.
Or the various boot options and methods to reinstall macOS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Finder > Help > macOS Help gets you the macOS User Guide right on your system. Many answers right at your finger tips. Or should I call it Finder tips????

krs

Reaction score
Finder > Help > macOS Help gets you the macOS User Guide right on your system. Many answers right at your finger tips. Or should I call it Finder tips????
I tried using that Mac Help option a few times in the past - never got me a useful answer for the problem.
Try it for the question of this thread.
I typed in "Slow WiFi" and got nothing useful
That is on Mojave which I;m running, maybe "Help"on later macOSs is better.

As a test, I also tried "Slow Mac" to see what would come up.
Not any better.
One of the first comments was that the hard drive may be too full.
Yes.....
But what is "too full"?
There is no clue like a percentage for instance.

Reaction score
I have been thinking to suggest to the admin of this forum to consider setting up a resource section.
Many types of questions come up over and over again, so instead of someone having to post the information again, one can just point to the resource info.

I've suggested setting up a FAQ (frequently asked questions) section here before. If nothing else, I think that would draw a huge number of new users to this forum after they have done a Google search to answer their questions.

A Tips & Tricks section would also likely be really popular.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I've suggested setting up a FAQ (frequently asked questions) section here before.
A Tips & Tricks section would also likely be really popular.

+1.

I would totally agree.

I'm sure even a lot of older well experienced Mac users would appreciate having a chance to look over such info.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.