Mac Mini Firmware Updates

Reaction score
Hi bit of a problem I have an old 2005-06 Mac Mini running 10.4.11 I use a wireless keyboard and bluetooth and usb mouse and as everyone will know I cant kick in to mac from keyboard until its on which I normally do through holding mouse button it was in middle of installing 10.5 Leopard when I had a brief powercut.When I turned it back on there was no wireless signal from mac neither will any of the usb ports work.I have found article online that says it could be a Firmware Update Issue ?? How can I update the Firmware when I cant boot the Mac ?? Thanks any advice would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Whenever using wireless equipment such as keyboard and mouse, always recommended having a USB keyboard and mouse for system installs and upgrades. Any chance you can borrow some? Any USB kb and mouse should do.

And is your Mini an older PowerPC or Intel model? The original 2005/2006 Mimi has Open Firmware however the second model early 2006 Intel has an update version 1.1.

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
Mac Mini

Hi Harry I forgot to mention i did go out and buy a usb keyboard in the hope this would help boot into the mac but it didnt work,I have run the apple hardware usb tests as its obviously the ports and its give me a code454518 Ihave looked this up and it says its a firmware update problem ?? .. now its finding the correct firmware and knowing how to install it if I cant access my mac through usb xx

oh and its a Power PC G4 WHICH I think is a M9687LL/A Model

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are none for a G4 as it uses a system called 'Open Firmware'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe not. With the wired keyboard and mouse, pop in the Tiger DVD, boot from that, leave the Installer and go to utilities > Disk utility and run Repair Disk to see if the hard drive can be used. Format, and do a clean install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.