Mac Mini compatible display w/webcam built-in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 6,1 i5, 500GB, 4 GB RAM, iPad Mini, iPhone 5s
I've got a new Mac Mini coming version 6,1. Of course I'm going to purchasing a display for it.... My question used to be are there webcams supported by facetime? From what I've read the answer is yes as long as it is UVC compliant. I've found that list no problem. I'm now curious if I could find a compatible webcam built into a display that way when I hook it up to the HDMI cable it's all done. Video, sound, and the webcam all integrated. vs running a separate wire up the back. Any suggestions or thoughts on what else has been done. Thanks for your help on this matter!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm now curious if I could find a compatible webcam built into a display that way when I hook it up to the HDMI cable it's all done.

That depends on how much you're willing to spend. I can easily recommend the Apple 27" Cinema display (Thunderbolt model) but it sells for $999.00. Finding a monitor to do all that is not going to be inexpensive.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
That depends on how much you're willing to spend. I can easily recommend the Apple 27" Cinema display (Thunderbolt model) but it sells for $999.00. Finding a monitor to do all that is not going to be inexpensive.

That would certainly work!!!:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I follow that however I can purchase a monitor for $79 and a mac compatible webcam for $49 and have me the same (minus the size) setup to offer the same function. $999 vs $128. I was just trying to clean up wires and trying a built in webcam I thought might do the trick. Thanks for the comment.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I follow that however I can purchase a monitor for $79 and a mac compatible webcam for $49 and have me the same (minus the size) setup to offer the same function. $999 vs $128. I was just trying to clean up wires and trying a built in webcam I thought might do the trick. Thanks for the comment.

This combination ($128) would probably be less expensive than an integrated display/webcam combo as well.:)

To be honest…of all the 22", 24", and 27" non-Apple brand displays I have seen for sale via many websites over the years…I really cannot recall one that had an integrated webcam (and I'm not talking about cheap monitors either).;)

Not saying they don't exist…I just don't remember seeing one.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This combination ($128) would probably be less expensive than an integrated display/webcam combo as well.:)

To be honest…of all the 22", 24", and 27" non-Apple brand displays I have seen for sale via many websites over the years…I really cannot recall one that had an integrated webcam (and I'm not talking about cheap monitors either).;)

Not saying they don't exist…I just don't remember seeing one.

- Nick

I understand... Here is a link to one I found and many I found....

ASUS VK228H-CSM Black 21.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LED Monitor 250 cd/m2 ASCR 80,000,000:1 Built-in Speakers Built in Webcam - Newegg.com

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Monitors, LCD / LED Monitors, Yes

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since you seem to have found several monitors that fit your requirements, why are you asking us? Just buy one that you like and that meets your budget.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since you seem to have found several monitors that fit your requirements, why are you asking us? Just buy one that you like and that meets your budget.

My original question poses the question in the event someone else has experience purchasing a built in webcam and it being compliant. Is it going to work? That's my question. From all the reading I've done no where does it say these webcams are UVC compliant. If none of them work then I'm back to square one. Purchasing a separate webcam and monitor. Just was wanting to have as little as possible of gadgets showing. Less is more. That's all. It's ok if no one has taken this endeavor. I'm really wanting to take the plunge and try it. I will be able to help others on this quest in the event it does work. Thanks again for your time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My original question poses the question in the event someone else has experience purchasing a built in webcam and it being compliant. Is it going to work?

In case you didn't know. I was reading some of the specs/reviews of some monitors with built-in webcams…and it turns out that in some cases…these monitors with built-in webcams…don't always have a built-in microphone.

A pretty BIG deal I would think…if someone wanted to communicate via Skype or FaceTime…etc.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In case you didn't know. I was reading some of the specs/reviews of some monitors with built-in webcams…and it turns out that in some cases…these monitors with built-in webcams…don't always have a built-in microphone.

A pretty BIG deal I would think…if someone wanted to communicate via Skype or FaceTime…etc.

- Nick

A very BIG deal indeed! Thanks for pointing that out as well Nick! Following up on some Q & A that will hopefully tell me if any do. I assumed one went with the other..... That's what I get for assuming!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I assumed one went with the other..... That's what I get for assuming!

Hey…I'm with you. I would have assumed the exact same thing! Like buying a brand new car…and assuming it comes with wheels & tires!;)

If you look at the specs & customer reviews of the ASUS monitor you linked from Newegg above. The specs do not mention specifically a microphone…and some of the user reviews seem to indicate no microphone.

Seems hard to believe…so maybe something to watch out for.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.