Mac mini blurry screen

Reaction score
Hi,

I was using a mac mini with my LG plasma and the image was perfect. I've just moved countries and I'm now using an LCD TV and when I connected my mac mini, the image is horrible. very blurry, text is hard to read. No options in the TV fix it. I work as a designer so it's really a problem. Im connecting using HDMI to HDMI. I think its possible to connect to the tv using the thunderbolt port. If so, would this rectify the problem? would I just need a HDMI to thunderbolt adapter?

Thanks so much! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What sort of resolution is the LCD TV...and what resolution is set on the Mac-Mini? My guess is the resolution of the LCD TV and the resolution setting of the Mini may not be set to the most optimal. And...the resolution of the former plasma TV and the current LCD TV are different...thus you may not be able to achieve the results.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi, the tv is set at 1080p as well as the Mac mini. That’s the setting when On auto detect. I also tried 1080i and 720. Both bad results.
The tv has a vga port. Do you know if this would produce a sharp image?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I was using a mac mini with my LG plasma and the image was perfect. I've just moved countries and I'm now using an LCD TV and when I connected my mac mini, the image is horrible.

You have not supplied many useful specs such as models and OS X version being used.

But maybe this relates:
macOS Sierra: If screen text looks blurry or jagged
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25302?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

And lots of other possible useful hits from here:
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=mac+LCD+TV+blurry&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Personally I have never had the opportunity to view any TV that doesn't display as fuzzy compared to a good computer monitor display, but maybe some have improved.

But maybe that's one of the reasons for the difference in price as well. :Smirk:

PS: GOOD cables can make a big difference and clearer graphics/text.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What is the size and year of the old tv, and the new tv? What is the model year of the mini you are using?

The vga port is older technology, I don't think it will yield better results.

Give this article a read, it may help fix your issue, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063.

OP
T
Reaction score
Sorry I was rushing lots earlier. I’m using El Capitan and the tv is inves LED-3214. (It’s spanish)
I’ll check the links soon, thanks.

I understand a tv is usually less sharp but this is almost unreadable so I can’t imagine working with it

OP
T
Reaction score
The tv is 32” and about 2/3 years old. The old plasma I was using was 42” and at least 8 years old. It wasn’t mine so I’m not sure. The image on it was perfect though. Almost as good as a monitor.
The Mac mini is a 2011 version I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The tv has a vga port.

As mentioned...this could be the main issue. VGA port is really old tech. If you had the option to use an HDMI or DVI port...that would be much better.:)

Out of curiosity...what video port did you use on the former plasma TV?

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
I’m using hdmi... it looks horrible :(

My old tv was also using hdmi and I’m using the same cable

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I’m using hdmi... it looks horrible :(

In post #3 of this thread you said the TV had a VGA port.

If you're using an HDMI port on the Mac-Mini...but going into a VGA port on the TV...then the net result is VGA. Which = old technology...which = bad results.

If you have an HDMI port on the Mac-Mini...for best results...you need an HDMI or DVI port on the TV.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
I said in the initial post I’m using hdmi to hdmi.
I just mentioned on a further post if the vga port would give better results. I know now that will not be the case so I won’t pursue that option. Thanks

I can’t post a picture at the moment but to give a visual description, I would say it would be how I would imagine a mac to be connected by a scart cable to look like..... if that helps

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I said in the initial post I’m using hdmi to hdmi.

Yes you did.:) Which means we're back to the response I gave in post #2 of the thread.:)

The thing to remember or be aware of is...all this 720p, 1080i, and 1080p stuff may not be relevant. These resolutions can be scaled by the TV. What could be more important to know is...what's the native resolution of the LCD TV in pixels.

For example:

- a true 1080p TV will have a native resolution of 1920 x 1080
- a true 720p LCD TV will have a native resolution of 1280 x 720

There of course are variations on this depending on the exact aspect ratio of the TV (4:3, 16:9, etc.).

The important thing to realize when connecting a computer to a TV is...it's the pixel resolution (native resolution) that's important...not so much the 720p and 1080p stuff.

Thus if someone has a LCD TV with a native resolution of 1280 x 720...that resolution is the BEST resolution for that TV...and probably the best resolution to set a computer to when connected to that LCD TV. When you deviate from that setting...things on the TV can get BIG, small, or fuzzy.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Generally speaking. TV's are not really as good as true computer monitors when it comes to sharpness.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses nick. I’ve been thinking about it whilst I was out and I think the best solution is I buy a proper computer monitor. I’ve only had iMacs in the past though so I assume the best way to connect a Mac mini to a monitor is by using the hdmi cable?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
An HDMI connection should work fine. Most of the monitors made in the last several years will support an HDMI connection. Most brands will work welll with a Mac or PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I assume the best way to connect a Mac mini to a monitor is by using the hdmi cable?

Here are the specks for what should be your's or similar 2011 Mac mini:
Video (Monitor): 2*
Details: *1 HDMI and 1 Thunderbolt port.

Supports 1920x1200 on an HDMI or a DVI display (using the included HDMI-to-DVI adapter) and 2560x1600 on as many as two daisy-chained Thunderbolt displays (it also supports a Mini DisplayPort display or even a VGA display (with an optional Mini DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter).
Thunderbolt is backwards-compatible with Mini DisplayPort-equipped displays as well as adapters that are compatible with Mini DisplayPort (DVI, VGA, dual-link DVI and HDMI).
Thunderbolt likewise can support other peripherals that use the Thunderbolt standard, which provides a maximum theoretical 10 Gbps of bandwidth in both directions.
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-i5-2.5-mid-2011-specs.html#macspecs2

I'd still suggest trying out the SwitchResX.app that still allows a free trial as I mentioned earlier. (Some settings won't save or stick after a restart or shutdown in it free mode.)

Sure cheaper than buying a new monitor if it works for your setup. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed Patrick. Turn over all the rocks before opening up the wallet.:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
I'd still suggest trying out the SwitchResX.app that still allows a free trial as I mentioned earlier. (Some settings won't save or stick after a restart or shutdown in it free mode.)

I tried that app. Unfortunately still no improvement. It's a great app though! :)

Think I'll just see how it is for a while and then decide on a new monitor.

Thanks for everyone's help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried that app. Unfortunately still no improvement. It's a great app though! :)

Think I'll just see how it is for a while and then decide on a new monitor.

Thanks for everyone's help

Maybe pack your Mac mini and the HDMI cable down to a local store that will allow you to connect them up and test things.

Maybe something got messed up during your last trip.

Just a thought… especially if any warranty is still in effect.

- Patrick
======

OP
T
Reaction score
Just an update. Thought I'd give the VGA route a go and bought a cheap thunderbolt to VGA cable and hey presto! image is super sharp now! so I'm all sorted. Thanks for all the advice. :) :) :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.