Mac mini (2009), Apple logo, no progress bar, doesn't respond to keyboard, no sounds.

dervxerox

Reaction score
Hi, I'm completely new to Macs.
I acquired a Mac mini (2009)
When I switch it on I get the Apple logo, no progress bar, no response to keyboard, no sounds.
I've left it running for an hour with no change.
Holding the power button for a while turns it off.
Could someone please tell me what the problem might be and some tests I could perform?

krs

Reaction score
If there is anything plugged into the Mini other than keyboard. mousemonitor, disconnect it, turn the Mini off and back on and see if that helps.
If that doesn't work either, I would also disconnect the keyboard and mouse and do the power off and back on again.
Post what you get when you do all that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Could be a bad hard drive...or maybe the macOS is bad on it (corrupted or missing files).

Since this is a "new to you" 2009 Mac-Mini...I'd recommend completely wiping ir & reinstalling a fresh copy of the macOS. This was 100% guaranteed a smooth running Mac-Mini (no previous owners junk on it.

But...if the Mac-Mini has a bad hard drive...got to take care of this first. You could test with an external drive with the macOS installed on it (boot the Mini from the external drive). I understand this may not be easy being new to Apple computers.

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.