Mac Mail

Reaction score
Hello.. I recently upgraded from my 16 year old iMac to a brand new one and have a question about mail. Right now I have both iCloud mail and Yahoo mail on the Mac and wonder if I need both. What would happen if I dropped one of them? If that is safe, which would be a better choice?

Thank you

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@poppi, that is a very personal decision for you. If you drop Yahoo, who emails you at that address? Are any of those emails critical, in the sense of being financial notices, alerts, involved with accounts for two-factor authentication, etc.? Do you want to reconnect with those folks? Same questions apply for iCloud. Nobody can answer those questions for you. It's your call, totally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Some of your online accounts may have a primary and secondary email account, I know my iCloud/Apple account asks for an alternative email.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Right now I have both iCloud mail and Yahoo mail on the Mac and wonder if I need both. What would happen if I dropped one of them? If that is safe, which would be a better choice?

I guess my question would be why would you be changing anything or dropping either of them and what does doing so have to do with getting a new Mac?

Have you got some specific reason for doing so and are either of them causing you any problems?

- Patrick
=======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Right now I have both iCloud mail and Yahoo mail on the Mac and wonder if I need both.

Impossible to advise you on that (as Jake said).

What would happen if I dropped one of them?

You would no longer receive emails on the one you dropped. Closing one of them would not affect the other if that was in your mind.

which would be a better choice?

Again; impossible to give you an answer. If one of them was heavily used and the other much less so, you could notify the people who use the lesser used one and advise them to use the other in future.

But really; why delete either of them? Having two email accounts is pretty modest by today's standards.

Some folks have up to half a dozen accounts or more.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Don't overlook what jimmysb said in post #3. If you have a backup address on file with your AppleID for recovery, and if for some reason your iCloud email is offline but the Yahoo isn't, then you can recover your account through that Yahoo email. (Or whatever emails you may have.)

OP
P
Reaction score
@poppi, that is a very personal decision for you. If you drop Yahoo, who emails you at that address? Are any of those emails critical, in the sense of being financial notices, alerts, involved with accounts for two-factor authentication, etc.? Do you want to reconnect with those folks? Same questions apply for iCloud. Nobody can answer those questions for you. It's your call, totally.
Thank you Jake. Good acd

OP
P
Reaction score
Don't overlook what jimmysb said in post #3. If you have a backup address on file with your AppleID for recovery, and if for some reason your iCloud email is offline but the Yahoo isn't, then you can recover your account through that Yahoo email. (Or whatever emails you may have.)
Thanks to everyone for your sage advice. The only reason I was looking into dropping one wqas to simplify ther clutter on my mail page. I think I will,just leave everyything in place

Thanks again
poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
You could always NOT have Yahoo Mail added to IOS Mail but access it just with their website. Best of both worlds. No 'clutter' in Mail, and still have access to Yahoo mail. I do exactly the same for my Yahoo Mail (reserved for those pesky websites that ask for email that I don't necessary want to communicate with, Gmail (for Google account and access to Google Docs that I occasionally need access to, and Hotmail (because I have Microsoft 365). None of these are accessed with Mail (IOS nor MacOS).

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.