Mac Mail - Reading Pane blank

svensvensson

Reaction score
OK, that makes sense.
But I don't use iCloud mail servers.
My mail servers are at kos.net and gmx.com - nothing remotely associated with Apple.
Default browser is Firefox with occasional use of Chrome or Brave
Firefox has tracking protection which is set to "standard". that is the lowest level.
Whilst your mail servers might not be iCloud, the remote content delivery in the message may well be routed via iCloud, as that is a function of the Mail app.

All your mail server does, is forward the email to the Mail app on your Mac, the HTML content of that email, including any web links (i.e. 1x1 pixel images used for tracking!) is then rendered in the viewing pane by the Mail app. Probably using elements of Safari under the hood.

v-man

Reaction score
I had this problem for several months and did everything suggested on every web forum. Even upgraded to the latest fastest Macbook but the problem migrated with the rest of the data to the new computer. I finally called Apple support and they took me through several steps which didn't work, but finally made me do the following which completely fixed the issue:

1. Upgrade to the latest version of OSX
2. Go to Mail > Accounts
3. All my emails accounts were listed
4. Select an email account by clicking on it
5. The button next to Mail shows blue (active). Slide it to the left to make it inactive. Wait a few seconds and slide it back to active. It restarted downloading the emails or syncing the IMAP accounts - Took a long time since I have 5 active email accounts going back many years - I left it to download overnight.
6. Next morning Lo and behold problem solved.

It hasn't recurred since (this call was a couple months ago). Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I finally called Apple support and they took me through several steps which didn't work, but finally made me do the following which completely fixed the issue:

Thanks for posting, and hopefully it can help someone else suffering from the same problem you had previous to your fix.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.