Mac mail message recovery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macmini quad i7 16gb ram
Hi guys i have deleted mail on one of my macs with a gmail account by mistake, trashed it then emptied trash.
this being imap has removed all folders archived from the gmail server.
Is there any app or technique to retrieve this information..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Restore the deleted mail from your Time Machine backup? Otherwise if you have no backup, you can try a data recovery program. Let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Or did the OP have the same Gmail account setup and used on another Mac that was mentioned.

Doubtful, but just maybe…???

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macmini quad i7 16gb ram
HI people many thanks for the feedback. No time machine or no mail on another mac in this case. Sort of thinking down the line of recovery software spacificley for mail / deleted mail.?
Anybody ever used or heard of such a App.

C

chas_m

Nothing specifically for Mail/email, no. Your best bet at this stage is to:

1. Kick yourself for not having a backup,
2. Stop using the machine IMMEDIATELY!
3. Download the trial of Data Rescue
4. If you find it can retrieve the mail in question, pay the $100 and consider yourself extremely lucky.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macmini quad i7 16gb ram
Thanks Chas
Ill consider my *** kicked and will take your advice.
Ill give it a scan with data Rescue 4.....trial

Many thanks... Ill let you know how it goes...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
You said the account was IMAP, if that's correct, then you have deleted folders from your ISP/host server, not from your Mac. I doubt anything but a bunch of links can be recovered from you MPB. You should contact your hosting company asap, before their backup is wiped. Just read it again, this time paying attention LOL and I see it's Gmail. Not sure what Gmail policy is on this, never used them, but on a couple of IMAP accounts I have with one of my hosts (LCN.com) they will keep deleted folders for a couple of weeks, IIRC.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macmini quad i7 16gb ram
yes gmail servers via imap. really hard to get hold of anyone form google to see. but maybe thats the option cause data rescue does not really pick up anything...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Gmail usually keeps deleted mail for 30 days before permanently erasing them from the server. My gmail account is POP so I can't say for sure if they do the same with IMAP. Your best hope of recovery might be with Data Rescue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You said the account was IMAP, if that's correct, then you have deleted folders from your ISP/host server, not from your Mac. I doubt anything but a bunch of links can be recovered from you MPB. You should contact your hosting company asap, before their backup is wiped. Just read it again, this time paying attention LOL and I see it's Gmail. Not sure what Gmail policy is on this, never used them, but on a couple of IMAP accounts I have with one of my hosts (LCN.com) they will keep deleted folders for a couple of weeks, IIRC.

I was just wondering and thinking the same thing. IMAP email is basically owned and kept on the IMAP servers, not one's Mac. Is that not correct??

And I'd suggest that contacting anyone at Gmail will be an exercise in frustration and determined patience, but good luck anyway. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.