mac mail junk box

Reaction score
My junk e mails are going into my inbox. Does anyone know settings to fix this?

C

chas_m

Without a lot more information, no. Please see out sticky on "Writing a Quality Post" and provide much more detail, starting with things like model and OS version and including things like whether this is a new issue or has been going on for a while, is the junk mail in your inbox marked as Junk, etc.

OP
M
Reaction score
Have a Mac Mini from 2006. OS system is 10-6-8. Using Road Runner through Time Warner Cable. Was not getting an e mail from 1 person on computer, although picked it up on web mail, so changed my junk mail settings on my computer. Time Warner seems to have solved the problem of getting that person's e mail on my computer, but in the meantime, I changed my junk mail preferences on my computer in my mac mail, and now, even though I have all the boxes checked to send junk mail to my junk mail box, it is all coming into my inbox. No, it is not marked junk. Should I just click on "reset", and start all over again?

C

chas_m

Can you post a screenshot of your junk settings? It sounds a lot like you've disabled it or put it back in "training" mode.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know how to do that. I think I took the picture, but have no idea where to find it

In my mail preferences---junk mail I have the following checked:

1. Enable junk mail filtering
2. When junk mail arrives: Move it to Junk Mailbox
2. Following types of messages are exempt: Sender is in my address book, Message is addressed
using my full name.
3. Trust junk mail headers provided by my internet service provider
4. Filter junk mail before applying my rules.

Sorry, but I'm quite un-tech-y, which is why I'm having this problem, and neither Road Runner no Apple was able to help me.
Thanks.

C

chas_m

Uncheck the last of those checkboxes "Filter junk mail before applying my rules." I'm not saying that's the problem or the solution, just a good idea.

When you see a junk email in your inbox, right-click on it and choose Mark as Junk Mail and see if that slowly improves the situation. I suspect what's happening is that a new wave of junk mail has fooled the existing filters and is getting through. Be vigilant about marking it for a couple of days and you may well notice a dramatic reduction.

Also, and you probably know this, but be careful about where you make your email address known. I have two: a "public" email that all goes straight into junk that I give out when required, and a "private" one that is not given out expect to friends and family.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.