Mac Mail is not working.

Reaction score
Mac Mail is not working. It will not send or receive. AT&T found that Mac Mail is not working with sbcglobal, gmail or other email accounts. I am running Macbook Pro (late 2008) OSX 10.9.5 Maverick with 35 GB of free space. Mac Mail is Version 7.3 (1878.6) Hundreds of us do not have a usable Mac Mail according to AT&T. How can we fix it? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mac Mail is working just fine here with GMail, AT&T, Verizon, HotMail, and so on. I don't know why AT&T would say that. There's nothing to fix as Mac Mail is working as it should. I think you might want to question AT&T again and ask them where they're getting this so called information from.

C

chas_m

Do you really think Apple would still be in business if email didn't work? Come on.

I'm sorry you're having a problem, but apply some common sense and decide whether this is standard for Mac users or if some underpaid AT&T tech rep who's probably never used a Mac in their life isn't just telling tall tales.

OP
D
Reaction score
I agree that Apple would fix such a problem if it exists on a large scale. Can someone just tell me how to get my Mac mail to work? AT&T spent 1 and 1/2 hours Saturday night and said they contacted Apple. Apple asked for 24 hours to respond. Then Sunday night AT & T called back and spent another 1 and 1/2 hours trying to fix my Mac Mail that stopped working sometime after 4:30 pm EST on Saturday (12/13/14). They tried adding a gmail account to Mac Mail. They tried adding another sbcglobal account to Mac Mail. I am able to get to my sbcglobal account through att.net. However, my whole set up is through Mac Mail since I like it better and contacts are there. At&T thought that maybe I needed an upgrade on MacMail but I am not aware of it. In addition my Mac is hanging and freezing badly. I have run permission repair on Disc Utility. I have had to unplug the Mac because of beachball hanging or freezing--particularly on text edit, and Mac Mail. I cannot verify what AT&T told me, but I can verify that I am having LOTS of problems and Mac Mail is not usable right now. I have a Macbook Pro (late 2008) OSX 10.9.5 Maverick with 35 GB of free space. Mac Mail is Version 7.3 (1878.6). I just deleted a large number of emails from Mac Mail thinking that might free it. Or would you prefer that I repost the question without reference to what AT&T said? I would really appreciate your help so that I could continue enjoying using my Mac and Mac Mail. Or, some say that I will need a new computer. Do I? I am a senior citizen who is not a techie but is an adjunct instructor at a college. Thank you so much.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Diana:

It's good to hear that AT&T has tried to help you and perhaps there is some misunderstanding about what's going on with your mail program. However, reading over your last reply leads me to believe that there might be some hardware problems with your 2008 MacBook Pro. The fact that it's hanging and freezing badly is not a good sign. You really need to have that taken care of before tackling the mail problem. Your MacBook Pro is too old for Apple to want to diagnose or work on, otherwise I would recommend taking it to them. You might wish to have someone you can trust and who knows what they're doing to troubleshoot it for you. But please be cautious about spending any large sum of money to do repairs.

If you need further help with this, feel free to post back to this same thread.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks. I probably need to break down and buy a new computer. I started having beachball problems when I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion and then to Maverick. I teach Photography and had to take off lots of photographs and videos to keep enough free RAM. I have enjoyed having a Mac. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.