MAC- How To Remove Apps

Reaction score
I have a MAC desktop that i've downloads a couple of old school type game apps from the App Store. I don't like them and would like to remove them. How?? I don't see any way to do it. Tried to drag to Trash.. but, doesn't work.

Thanks for any help...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What happens when you drag to trash?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Where do you see the games? Are you using Finder, or are they on your Desktop?

1 - If you use Launchpad, you can click an hold on the app, then it will start to wiggle and a red X will appear. You can then click the X to delete the game.
2 - If you open a Finder window, select Appl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Info about your Mac and operating system would help egreatly, however try Trash It!

NoName Scriptware

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Install AppCleaner and choose the games from the list and have it move it to the trash for you and then empty the trash to delete it completely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The applications folder is not normally on the Desktop. When you say they stay in the folder, could it be that you are seeing the installation file mounted as a drive? The icon looks very much like a drive does. A screenshot of the folder would help.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The applications folder is not normally on the Desktop. When you say they stay in the folder, could it be that you are seeing the installation file mounted as a drive? The icon looks very much like a drive does. A screenshot of the folder would help.

Jake, while accurate, the folder which holds a Mac app doesn't matter, it could be your local Applications, global Applications, Downloads, Desktop and whatever else you want.

OP
I
Reaction score
Probably my lack of understanding. The Application Folder is in/on my Doc along with the Calendar, Finder, Launch, etc

OP
I
Reaction score
Can I actually install AppCleaner on my computer for easy access.. or do I have to find a way to save this link If I have to do it again? Sorry, I'm an computer illiterate old guy.
Install AppCleaner and choose the games from the list and have it move it to the trash for you and then empty the trash to delete it completely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
This is an edit to my previous post (#4). It would not allow me to edit it directly, or save the changes when I wrote the post. So I am hoping this works. I just tried 5, 6, 7, more times to add this, but it keeps bringing me back to the MF Home Page. There was a link to an Apple Support article that I deleted, before trying the 5th time, thinking that was the issue.

Edit: I had to delete all the information that was cut off from my first post, in order to get this to appear.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake, while accurate, the folder which holds a Mac app doesn't matter, it could be your local Applications, global Applications, Downloads, Desktop and whatever else you want.
That is true, Ashwin, but given that the OP is clearly not an experienced Mac user, I was trying to determine if he/she had done something unusual to the Mac to get the Applications folder on the Desktop. As it turns out, the "Desktop" was actually the Dock. And it's probably on the far right as a recently used application, which will be replaced by something else as soon as something else is run. I think those shortcuts stay even if the app is deleted. Haven't tried that, but wouldn't be surprise if it worked that way.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is true, Ashwin, but given that the OP is clearly not an experienced Mac user, I was trying to determine if he/she had done something unusual to the Mac to get the Applications folder on the Desktop. As it turns out, the "Desktop" was actually the Dock. And it's probably on the far right as a recently used application, which will be replaced by something else as soon as something else is run. I think those shortcuts stay even if the app is deleted. Haven't tried that, but wouldn't be surprise if it worked that way.

Yup, I was just about the confirm Dock = Desktop myself. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For HbgBill, before we launch into third party apps like AppCleaner, the application is normally stored in the Applications folder. If you open Finder, on the left side is a column of locations, one of which might be Applications. And in that location you will find the applications. Find the one you don't want and drag it to the Trash. It should disappear from the Applications folder, appear in the Trash folder where it will remain until you empty the trash. And it will disappear from the Applications shortcut on the Dock as well.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can I actually install AppCleaner on my computer for easy access.. or do I have to find a way to save this link If I have to do it again? Sorry, I'm an computer illiterate old guy.

Visit the link I provided and click on the right to download version 3.5. This will get you a zip file. Your browser will likely save the file to the Downloads folder. From your Dock, click on the Finder icon to launch it and you should see Downloads in the left sidebar. Click on that and you will see the AppCleaner_3.5.zip file. Double click on it to extract the Zip file and you will now have an application called AppCleaner that will appear. Grab the newcomer and drag it to the Applications folder on the left sidebar.

AppCleaner is now "installed". To launch it, you can click on the Application folder in Finder and double-click on AppCleaner, or hit CMD+space to bring up Spotlight and start entering App and it will autocomplete to the application and then you hit Enter to launch, or you can click on the rocket ship (Launchpad) on your Dock and swipe around to find AppCleaner to launch it, or click on the Applications folder on your Dock all the way on the right and launch it from there.

Once launched, if you want to keep it always in your Dock, then right-click on the icon and choose the Keep in Dock option. I imagine, however, that this is a pretty infrequently used application and you likely don't want to use the Dock space to house it as opposed to other apps you are constantly launching.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for your awesome help.. got it figured out. I need a teenager in my house. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What was the solution? It's good for you to post that so that anyone reading this thread will know that.

And you commented that you are "Sorry, I'm an computer illiterate old guy." Illiterate we can accept, but old guy is slightly less acceptable. A lot of us here are north of 70, so if you aren't at that milestone yet, you ain't "old." :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.