Mac G5 Tiger

Reaction score
I bought this computer used to get the hang of Mac features. A couple things I would like to do.

1. Get rid of the password that protects any installation.
2. Copy installed programs prior to installation. (if I need to wipe the drive)
2. Install update and or new OSX.

Issues: Updates will not install without password. Tried overriding password with single Mode User and prompt I found on internet. I run into Bonjour error 0.
can not go any further. I ran disk utility and found some errors on hard drive which will not give me the option to fix.

I have a leopard OSX update that I would like to install.

Also, it appears that the mother board has 8 slots for memory. Does this mean it can hold up to 8 gigs?

what if any info about this computer does anyone responding need.
Thanks for the help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Issues: Updates will not install without password.

Not sure how this computer was purchased (eBay, Craig's List, online reseller, etc.)...but can you contact the seller & see if they can give you the password?

Just so you know...Leopard (OS 10.5) is the newest OS this computer can run. OS 10.5 was released in 2007 (11 years old). Newest macOS is 10.13 (6 versions newer). Hopefully you were aware of this.

Also, it appears that the mother board has 8 slots for memory. Does this mean it can hold up to 8 gigs?

If it has 8 RAM slots...then this is a Powermac G5 computer. There were also iMac G5's.

There were 14 different Powermac G5 models...some with 4 RAM slots & some with 8 RAM slots. And those that had 8 RAM slots either had a max RAM capacity of 8gig or 16gig. Thus we would need to know the exact model Powermac G5 this is to be able to say what the max RAM is.

what if any info about this computer does anyone responding need.

Powermac G5's were sold between 2003 & 2006. Which means this computer is 12-15 years old...and may have seen lots & lots of use time hours. Things like video cards, power supplies, hard drives, optical drives can go belly up suddenly (just like in any old computer).

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

From what source? What color is the disc? If it is gray, there's a 99.9% chance it won't install on your machine, as those are machine specific, and you need the one that was sold with the computer originally. If it is a download, there is a 100% chance of problems. Leopard was never available from Apple as a download. That means such copies are pirated. It would likely be loaded with malware, although no viruses.

What you would need is the retail disc, which has a black background, and a leopard on it. (Not an actual leopard, a photo, of course!)

Reaction score
You will not 'get the hang of Mac features' with that Mac. It can't run anything even semi-modern and the OS has changed substantially since the time when it was around. It would be like learning modern Windows by installing XP, but even worse.

How much did you pay? In the US, a 2012 MacBook Pro can be had on Craigslist for around $500. Such a Mac with 16GB and an SSD is a perfectly usable computer, and can still be opened with a regular small Phillips screwdriver so you can see the internals.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. It was bought at a thrift store for 10 bucks. I do need help getting past the password to install a few things. I tryed a few ideas on the net with no progress. It gets to a point and says Bonjour error 0.
Can anyone help with his?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
What is the "username" account presently being used??

I assume it is an Admin account.

Does it even need a password??

Have you tried just hitting the return key if there isn't one, and some left a administer with the password: apple or Apple. Worth a try.

Otherwise get friendly with some local Mac users or any Mac MUG member group.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I downloaded the image file from Archive.com.

Leopard is only available on a double sided DVD. The silver disks are Mac specific; the black disk can be used on any eligible machine. The downloaded image you have is not only an illegal download but likely will not work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The downloaded image you have is not only an illegal download but likely will not work.

And if it does happen to work, it may be like some social diseases that are famous for their ability to "just keep giving"… :Oops:

But one never knows 'till it happens I guess… or not…

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded the image file from Archive.com.

Yeah...not legit. Head over to eBay and get yourself a genuine Leopard install disk.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah...not legit. Head over to eBay and get yourself a genuine Leopard install disk.:)

- Nick

And even many of those are often dubious if one is expecting a "genuine" Apple OS X Install Disk, but what's a user to do if Apple can't and doesn't help out such users??? :Oops:

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And even many of those are often dubious if one is expecting a "genuine" Apple OS X Install Disk, but what's a user to do if Apple can't and doesn't help out such users???

The genuine Leopard install disk I'm referring to is the install disk someone would have purchased at an Apple store or an online store somewhere when they were for sale (dark colored disk with the big X on it). Not the model specific gray-colored Leopard install disks.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The genuine Leopard install disk I'm referring to is the install disk someone would have purchased at an Apple store or an online store somewhere when they were for sale (dark colored disk with the big X on it). Not the model specific gray-colored Leopard install disks.:)

- Nick

Yup, even those Nick, are easy to make almost exact duplicates of and sell off as "legit".

But then again some may be quite legit as Apple allowed the original owner to make a duplicate or backup image for themselves. Just as I did and still have such Install disks.

I do find it a bit strange to see so many ebay type sellers selling Retail versions of Snow Leopard for $40.00 and more for example, when one could purchase the same thing or better from Apple for $20.00cdn. And get free delivery!!! ;)

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, even those Nick, are easy to make almost exact duplicates of and sell off as "legit".

Are you talking about duplicate disks made from a "genuine" installed DVD?...because I'm talking about a genuine original disk with the original graphics on it...like this:

Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 12.13.13 AM.png

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But then again some may be quite legit as Apple allowed the original owner to make a duplicate or backup image for themselves. Just as I did and still have such Install disks.

Of Leopard? Making a dupe of Leopard is not easy since Disk 1 is double sided. And the disk that Nick showed you is likewise double sided. I suppose that a dupe can be made but it's certainly not easy. We have had several members who tried it and failed even when using double sided media.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you talking about duplicate disks made from a "genuine" installed DVD?...because I'm talking about a genuine original disk with the original graphics on it...
- Nick

Of Leopard? Making a dupe of Leopard is not easy since Disk 1 is double sided. And the disk that Nick showed you is likewise double sided. I suppose that a dupe can be made but it's certainly not easy. We have had several members who tried it and failed even when using double sided media.

Yup, duplicate disks made from a "genuine" installed DVD just like the one you show above.

If I recall they were probably duplicated using Toast v. 6.? and had no problems. But I think I was using a Sony or Pioneer CD/DVD burner in my G3 1.25GHz MDD Tower probably at the time. It also had two optical drives installed that made any duplications quicker and easier.

I was about to scan the discs to show you but my Canon MX922 has suddenly decided not to scan for some &^%#* reason!!! :Not-Amused:

The disks are interesting as the duplicate from the 10.5 original from Apple worked yet their 10.5.6 replacement I labelled as not working and I believe they sent me a newer replacement of which I made another duplicate, complete with good paper label that looks just like it's original. ;)

I'll upload a scan if I can get it working later if you're even interested. Maybe you'll be able to notice the small difference from the original discs — just like those that some can purchase from some ebay sellers!!! :[

If I recall, I also had to use my duplicated disk to help out a VMUG member whose original Apple purchased Leopard install disc also would not work, which Apple later replaced for him.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
MDD were G4's unless I am mistaken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, duplicate disks made from a "genuine" installed DVD just like the one you show above.

I'm not sure we're on the same page.;) What I'm saying is...I don't think the folks that are making duplicate Leopard install disks are also duplicating the original graphics on the disks. Therefore...as long as someone purchases a Leopard install disk with the original graphics on it...they should be getting an original Apple install disk.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure we're on the same page.;) What I'm saying is...I don't think the folks that are making duplicate Leopard install disks are also duplicating the original graphics on the disks. Therefore...as long as someone purchases a Leopard install disk with the original graphics on it...they should be getting an original Apple install disk.:)

- Nick

Maybe these scans will explain what I'm saying and this duplication was done in the day of paper labels, not direct printing.

Could you tell the difference and say which one is the Apple original?? (Quick crude scans BTW)

And hint: The Apple one shown didn't even work without an install error, hence the replacement Apple sent me.

Leopard Disc org.jpeg Leopard Disc dup.jpeg

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.