• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac-Forums Musicians

OP
N

nko

Recording is fun and easy. There's a lot of technical stuff to it, but a lot of it boils down to just listening and going with your gut, as far as mixing or any of that stuff. People I talk to are always so afraid to record, or to try to do the stuff, but there really isn't much to it. It's all just like playing an instrument; practice, practice practice :) Don't be afraid to screw up, it's all in the name of fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
We should have a progressive list.. so we have the most recent version and not like 30,000 versions with all different people adding to in random order..

Do you want us to add as in length, or write over.. (my guess write over, but ya never know)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Someone start a fresh one :) I just listened to MacAddikts somehow i read over it the first time thru :)

I don't know how one would start it.. :) Drums first?

[edit]
ide also like to note this is my 1000th post, just realized that..
[/edit]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i think the best thing is for the guitar players to record something, then ill add drums to it. either recording or make a drum loop.

i could lay down a beat first, but then id have to go back and add fill ins at the transitions. this way i would only need to record once

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats cool, I only have one class tomorrow :) so ill work on that a little bit, unless someone else wants to be i guess the 'lead guitar' I doubt I am the best player among us as only been playing for like 4-5 years.

OP
N

nko

Hey, I've only played bass for 3 years :). I guess there's less to it, though, playing bass. Unless you wanna get all crazy.

Maybe we should make a sourceforge account and use CVS to manage our song! :moneymout Hehe, just a little humor.

I'll be interested to see what styles pop up. I'd love to hear a combo of pop rock and, say... jazz trumpet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
we can start with a simple chord progression fir the verse. thats always ear pleasing. so something like

C G C A
C G C A
D G C A
C A A A

then jus go into a similar chorus or something. maybe add an intro or somethin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well right now my fingers are really raw from alot of guitar playing last night for my fans. (and my fans i mean like a few friends which were drunk and board probly not listening to me :) )

But ill try to work something out. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ill compose right now :D Tabs only because I don't want to translate and I probly don't know how. (havn't had a musical class since middle school)

\\// - pause in line
rud - repeat until done :D
= - play previous cord multiple times to sync with next cord
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------1----------1------------0---------0-----------1---------0---------1---|
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|----3---------3-------------0--------0------------2---------0---------3-------|
|-3---------3-------------2---------2-----------0----------2--------3----------|
\\\\\\//////
|------------------------------------0--=--0-=-rud-----------------------------|
|--------0--------1---------1------0--=--0-=-rud-----------------------------|
|------------------------------------5--=--7-=-rud-----------------------------|
|-----0--------2--------3----------7--=--5-=-rud-----------------------------|
|--2--------0--------3-------------0--=--0-=-rud-----------------------------|
|------------------------------------0--=--0-=-rud-----------------------------|

I figure we should start short on our first one eh?
only around a minute 1:00:08 to be exact. Its like 900k so its not huge to download. .mp3 a good standard format for us?

You Can download it here. It is by no means anything special.
Whose next?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wondering if anyone took a look at that.. or if anyone started their own.. we going to try this out?

OP
N

nko

That's **** decent :) !

I'll try to lay a thin bass line down this week. Our "studio" is being carpeted :slant: , which means all the furniture is in the center of the room, including a desk I had the impression was bolted to the wall. Anyone wanna add anything besides guitar, bass and drums? Maybe keep this one short and simple, then do another?

OP
J

JazzTrpt

nko said:
That's **** decent :) !

I'll try to lay a thin bass line down this week. Our "studio" is being carpeted :slant: , which means all the furniture is in the center of the room, including a desk I had the impression was bolted to the wall. Anyone wanna add anything besides guitar, bass and drums? Maybe keep this one short and simple, then do another?

Yo what's up...I'm a trumpet player-jazz performance major. Once you get somethin goin, post it on here and maybe I could record some backgrounds or a solo.

OP
N

nko

Hehee, I was hoping you'd pop up sooner than later!

Hey, it's a free for all, all in the name of fun. Pipe up anytime! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
Is there a program in existance that allows copying and pasting of sound clips? So the backing tracks don't have to be played for a set amount of times which limits it somewhat?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Soundtrack

or for something simple, you can even use iMovie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have soundtrack.. but how does one import? I don't see the function. That and it has some features I have no idea how to use... but I recorded that with SoundStudio 2.0..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.