Mac does not read EXFAT partition on external drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.2 GHZ Intel Core Duo [circa 2009] running Yosemite
hi,
I am trying to move some photos and music from my Linux box to a Macbook. I read that EXFAT file format was readable by both (and by windows, for that matter). However, having created an EXFAT partition and filled it with music, the MacBook does not see it at all. When I plug in the external USB drive, the Mac sees a Windows partition that happens to be there, but does not see the EXFAT partition at all. What can I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Does the Partition show in Disk Utility? If it does, maybe you can mount it frorm there.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
hi,
I am trying to move some photos and music from my Linux box to a Macbook. I read that EXFAT file format was readable by both (and by windows, for that matter). However, having created an EXFAT partition and filled it with music, the MacBook does not see it at all. When I plug in the external USB drive, the Mac sees a Windows partition that happens to be there, but does not see the EXFAT partition at all. What can I do?

This sounds so simple but sometimes it's the answer:

Open Finder. Then use the Keyboard shortcut - Command plus comma - to bring up Finder Preferences/Settings.
Click on "General" and under "Show these items on Desktop" make sure that "Hard Disks", "External Disks" are Ticked (and CDs, DVDs etc as well),

I mention that only because it's a frequent "cause" of Drives not being "seen".

Worth a check?

Ian

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, all. I have checked the Finder settings and they are correct. The partition does not appear in Disk Utility. Thank you for the commercial help page, however it says vague things like perhaps your Mac OS is the wrong version but does not say what the right version would be. I guess I may have to do the paid solution but this is a bit frustrating given I thought the whole point of the file system was that it was compatible. Is there anything else I can try before the Yodot solution?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Confirming, other sites say that Monterey should work no problem, which is what I have, so…

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I thought the whole point of the file system was that it was compatible. Is there anything else I can try before the Yodot solution?

With any luck maybe there is something at this site that would give you a suggestion of something to try that just might work:

How to Fix exFAT Drive Not Mounting/Showing Up on Mac?

Here's hoping...

- Patrick
=======

krs

Reaction score
hi,
I am trying to move some photos and music from my Linux box to a Macbook. I read that EXFAT file format was readable by both (and by windows, for that matter). However, having created an EXFAT partition and filled it with music, the MacBook does not see it at all.
Did you use the Mac to create the EXFAT partition? or Linux?
If you didn't use the Mac to create that partition, that's the first thing I would try.
Then double check in Disk Utility that the partition is created and shows properly and then move the files from Linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you restarted the Mac with the drive plugged in? Also unplugged?

Also, if you try to format the drive on the Mac, you will lose the data on the drive.

krs

Reaction score
Also, if you try to format the drive on the Mac, you will lose the data on the drive.
I assumed the the OP created an EXFAT partition on a separate drive - I think you assumed the OP created an EXFAT partition on the main drive with Linux.

It's often a problem offering suggestions on what to do if one isn't able to actually observe what was or is actually being done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I assumed the the OP created an EXFAT partition on a separate drive - I think you assumed the OP created an EXFAT partition on the main drive with Linux.

It's often a problem offering suggestions on what to do if one isn't able to actually observe what was or is actually being done.
I didn't read it that way at all. I think what Bob said was to format the external drive on the Mac, instead of on the Linux box. That way, it should be readable by the Mac because it would be in a format that Mac created.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is correct, i created the EXFAT partition on the Linux box and copied the data from there. So if the correct approach is to create the partition on the Mac, I can do that. I dont care if I lose the data because it still resides on the LInux box.

krs

Reaction score
I didn't read it that way at all. I think what Bob said was to format the external drive on the Mac, instead of on the Linux box. That way, it should be readable by the Mac because it would be in a format that Mac created.
That's actually what I said - format EXFAT on a separate external drive.
Bob's comments about losing data confused me, that's why I assumed Bob meant the Linux drive which does have data on it.

krs

Reaction score
That is correct, i created the EXFAT partition on the Linux box and copied the data from there. So if the correct approach is to create the partition on the Mac, I can do that. I dont care if I lose the data because it still resides on the LInux box.
Sounds good.
I would suggest you just check the EXFAT partition created using the Mac to make sure it shows up on Disk Utility before you transfer the files again just to make sure there is no other hiccup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would suggest you just check the EXFAT partition created using the Mac to make sure it shows up on Disk Utility before you transfer the files again just to make sure there is no other hiccup

I recall reading several times over the years that it was always best and recommended to format a hard drive on the machine it was to be used with, but I never found a proper answer of which machine should be used to do the formatting when such a drive was being shared between two different computers, if in fact it actually does matter.

I guess one should always check that they mount and work properly even before committing them to any data storage that might be shared with another computer.

- Patrick
=======

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi all. Thanks for your help. To close the loop, I formatted the drive with EXFAT on the mac, and it works just fine on Linux and I have been able to move the files. I never would have thought of this without your suggestions, so thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your help. To close the loop, I formatted the drive with EXFAT on the mac, and it works just fine on Linux and I have been able to move the files.

That's good news, and many thanks for your feedback and for posting your actions and your fix.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.