Mac Book Pro 2017

Reaction score
First time on this website. Using my Mac today, a fault appeared and I sent the diagnostic report to apple as requested. I have then had the following error message (attached) Familiar to anyone? Apple reinstalled the operating system remotely but still unable to gain access to my Mac. When the Mac is turned on it asks for reconnection to Wi-Fi. Have also restarted with a hard wired connection but error message still appears. Occasional red flash on screen when turning on. Has anyone seen this sort of thing before?

Attachments

• E31B4EEA-97C2-4843-B55F-628A03A62807.jpeg
    E31B4EEA-97C2-4843-B55F-628A03A62807.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 25
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the fourum. There are a few questions we need to get answered before we can offer concrete help. What Mac? (I can see in the image it's a MacBook Pro, but what model?) What version of macOS was it running? What was the "fault" that appeared and for which you send the diagnostic report? What do you mean by "Apple reinstalled the operating system remotely?" Did you call Apple already? Was this remote installation performed by them remotely? From your other comments about WiFi it seems that the Mac is trying to connect to Apple to get a download. What have you tried already and how did it work or not work? No need for us to recommend something you've already done.

So, get back to us and we'll see what we can figure out.

OP
V
Reaction score
Welcome to the fourum. There are a few questions we need to get answered before we can offer concrete help. What Mac? (I can see in the image it's a MacBook Pro, but what model?) What version of macOS was it running? What was the "fault" that appeared and for which you send the diagnostic report? What do you mean by "Apple reinstalled the operating system remotely?" Did you call Apple already? Was this remote installation performed by them remotely? From your other comments about WiFi it seems that the Mac is trying to connect to Apple to get a download. What have you tried already and how did it work or not work? No need for us to recommend something you've already done.

So, get back to us and we'll see what we can figure out.

Thank you, and it is very kind of you to get back to me. The MacBook Pro is a MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, 2017). I have the serial number if that helps? It was running the latest version of macOS Big Sur 11.2.1.
The first sign that something was amiss was when I opened my mac this morning, used my fingerprint to enter my profile as there are two users on this mac. The slim bar underneath my profile picture took several minutes to load, whereas it would normally allow me access instantaneously. I managed to enter my profile and instantly checked for updates as I knew something was wrong (although I have automatic updates set as default). I received an error message requesting permission for diagnostics to be sent to Apple. I didn't pay much attention to this I'm afraid so can't give any more information. As soon as I did this, I got a black screen, and then a further screen asking me to reconnect to wifi- which I did. I then received the message about critical software update, which I attached in the previous message. At this point I called Apple. I was unable to get back into my profile again so they talked me through a process where they did a first-aid check on the hardware which all were diagnosed as fine with a green tick. Next they decided to reinstall the operating system. This was performed by them talking me through the process. They had sight of my mac screen via my phone camera. I called Apple three further times, ending up in a loop of
1 black screen, then turning off and back on (I think it is a hard reset? with cmd and r, then one which included the shift key)
2 entering wi-fi and password
3 waiting for several minutes
4 receiving the error message about critical software update. At the point of this message I either retry or turn off. Both send me back into this loop.

By myself I have tried starting the mac whilst connected with an ethernet cable, but I end up in the same loop.

As you can probably tell, I am no expert, but trying to avoid sending my mac of for repair, though think that is where I am heading. Thank you for your time and thoughts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are some curious things in your post. First, there are no 12 inch MacBook Pro but there is a 12" MacBook. Your picture with the error had the name "Macbook Pro" below the image, but you refer to a MacBook. Which is it?

Second, the original error is kind of key to know as it points to whatever started the issue. Was it a kernel panic? Was it a report on a specific application (crash report)? Any clue would help.

Third, you said you called Apple and apparently did some sort of diagnostics with them. Was that the Apple hardware test? Is what is in this article what you did? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

Fourth, did the reinstall of the operating system work at all? Did it ever boot? If the image you sent is correct, it looks like a booted screen in the background, but you referred to black screens only.

Frankly, I'm confused, still, by your descriptions.The problem sounds like either the logic board or SSD has failed, but in a way that the diagnostics they had you execute didn't find. But it is really hard to make sense of what you have told us so far. Please answer the questions and we'll see if we can get you going agin. Do you have a backup? I fear that any "fix" will involve reformatting the SSD, erasing it completely.

OP
V
Reaction score
There are some curious things in your post. First, there are no 12 inch MacBook Pro but there is a 12" MacBook. Your picture with the error had the name "Macbook Pro" below the image, but you refer to a MacBook. Which is it?

Second, the original error is kind of key to know as it points to whatever started the issue. Was it a kernel panic? Was it a report on a specific application (crash report)? Any clue would help.

Third, you said you called Apple and apparently did some sort of diagnostics with them. Was that the Apple hardware test? Is what is in this article what you did? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

Fourth, did the reinstall of the operating system work at all? Did it ever boot? If the image you sent is correct, it looks like a booted screen in the background, but you referred to black screens only.

Frankly, I'm confused, still, by your descriptions.The problem sounds like either the logic board or SSD has failed, but in a way that the diagnostics they had you execute didn't find. But it is really hard to make sense of what you have told us so far. Please answer the questions and we'll see if we can get you going agin. Do you have a backup? I fear that any "fix" will involve reformatting the SSD, erasing it completely.
Thanks for your patience. I'll try and be as clear as I can. Firstly, the Mac Book. It is a MacBook Pro 13 inch.

Thank you for your response. I can confirm it is a MacBook pro 13 inch. I'm afraid i might not be able to give you enough information to be of any use to a diagnosis, so understand your reluctance to continue thinking about this. On your third point, it does not look like the diagnosis they did. There was a list of three items on the diagnosis page, one I remember being macintosh something and another said disk something. In the top right their was an icon that said first aid. I'm happy if you wish to leave it there. I really appreciate you thinking about it this far!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So from those pictures, it looks like it's booting to the point where you can log in. What happens next, when yo do put in the password? Does it finish? You appear to be the only user with just one account on the system. Is that true? (It's a good idea to create two accounts, one for you to use and one "clean" one with nothing added to it to boot from if you have issues after entering your password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.