Mac Book Pro 15 Late 2011 gray screen turn to blue screen on attempt safe mode start

Reaction score
Hello,
My Mac Book Pro bought in Nov 2011.
Specification:
Mac Book Pro 15
2.2GHz Quad Core i7
4GB 1333MhZ DDR3 SDRAM -> upgraded by myself to 16 GB in 2015
128GB Solid State Memory
Superdrive 8x
with
AMO Radeon HD 6750M 512mb GDDR5

Last night while doing my e-mail the screen developed purple fine horizontal lines across the screen.
when I tried to restart, it has a grey screen after the starting "chime".

Then when I tried to restart in safe mode, Apple logo appears and then on the grey screen a bar appear at the bottom that start slowly fill and on completion the screen become "Blue".

After reading in here attempted connecting to an external screen: there it shows fine vertical lines on safe mode start.

1.Can this be repaired? I do not have apple store around my town. It would be 170 miles round trip.

2.I read it on internet that this Mac Book Pro is old and will not have parts supported by Apple.

Can someone mind any suggestion to get this Mac Book Pro working?

thanks a million

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 13" MBP, 8 Gb, 256 SSD, early 2011 13" MBP, 8 GB, 256 SSD
Sounds to me like the radeon dGPU has failed on the Macbook. This Macbook was the subject of an extended repair program from apple which ended in December, 2016.

You can either have the radeon chip replaced (expensive but a longer term solution), re-balled (temporary solution that may not work), or alter the start up extensions to bypass the radeon gpu and force the machine to use the integrated Intel iGPU.

I have a late 2011 15.4" with a failed radeon 6770m chip. I had it replaced and the machine now works perfectly. Not cheap, but worth it for me as I bought the Macbook for a very cheap price.

OP
S
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the radeon dGPU has failed on the Macbook. This Macbook was the subject of an extended repair program from apple which ended in December, 2016.

You can either have the radeon chip replaced (expensive but a longer term solution), re-balled (temporary solution that may not work), or alter the start up extensions to bypass the radeon gpu and force the machine to use the integrated Intel iGPU.

I will opt to have the radeon chip replaced.

Does it need to go to the Apple approved person to "alter the start up extensions to bypass the radeon gpu?

Thanks for your reply

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 13" MBP, 8 Gb, 256 SSD, early 2011 13" MBP, 8 GB, 256 SSD
If you decide to have the radeon GPU replaced, you will need to find someone that has the necessary equipment, skill, and suitable replacement chip. I'm not sure where you are located but you can check YouTube for videos from Louis Rossmann in New York City, USA. You will find a lot of useful information among his various rants. His website: https://www.rossmanngroup.com

Altering the startup extensions is something you can do yourself. I'm a new member here but I am also a member of another Mac forum where there is a dedicated thread about the 2011 15.4" MBPs. Do a Google search for "Force 2011 MacBook Pro 8,2 with failed AMD GPU to ALWAYS use Intel integrated GPU (EFI variable fix)".

OP
S
Reaction score
If you decide to have the radeon GPU replaced, you will need to find someone that has the necessary equipment, skill, and suitable replacement chip. I'm not sure where you are located but you can check YouTube for videos from Louis Rossmann in New York City, USA. You will find a lot of useful information among his various rants. His website: https://www.rossmanngroup.com

Altering the startup extensions is something you can do yourself. I'm a new member here but I am also a member of another Mac forum where there is a dedicated thread about the 2011 15.4" MBPs. Do a Google search for "Force 2011 MacBook Pro 8,2 with failed AMD GPU to ALWAYS use Intel integrated GPU (EFI variable fix)".

Thank you.
I will do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.