Mac and Website Navigation

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a website that I am building. Is anyone having trouble with their website not working properly? Couple people I know who have a mac say my header menu buttons are not opening up but they do so on my pc. (Such as, Home, How It Works, Contact, etc.) Thanks for your help! I guess I will google this question too. Appreciate replies on this. Thanks!

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Umm, you don't REALLY expect any helpful answers without any real details about your website or how you are building it, do you?

Mac or PC don't matter if the same browser is being used. If the Mac users are using Safari and the PC users are using Edge or Internet Explorer, then you have to contend with rendering engine.

If everyone is using Firefox, Chrome or other cross-platform browsers, then there should be no differences. How one website works/appears in Chrome on PC is the same as it appears on a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Umm, you don't REALLY expect any helpful answers without any real details about your website or how you are building it, do you?

Mac or PC don't matter if the same browser is being used. If the Mac users are using Safari and the PC users are using Edge or Internet Explorer, then you have to contend with rendering engine.

If everyone is using Firefox, Chrome or other cross-platform browsers, then there should be no differences. How one website works/appears in Chrome on PC is the same as it appears on a Mac.

Not sure aboiut that. I've a friend who is a website designer; when I had my Widows machine she would often ask me to look at a site to see if everything was working properly as she used Mac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Couple people I know who have a mac say my header menu buttons are not opening up but they do so on my pc. (Such as, Home, How It Works, Contact, etc.)

I think it's always a good idea when putting together a website or making changes...as a quality control check)...to check all major browsers to make sure everything is working properly (Chrome, Safari, FireFox, etc.).

Parts of our website (Mac-Forums) have been hand-coded (html)...and Navbar buttons similar to what you mentioned work fine in both Chrome & Safari.

Are you coding with html5 tags...and using CSS? If using older deprecated html tags...they may not be rendering as you might expect.

- Nick

krs

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a website that I am building. Is anyone having trouble with their website not working properly? Couple people I know who have a mac say my header menu buttons are not opening up but they do so on my pc. (Such as, Home, How It Works, Contact, etc.) Thanks for your help! I guess I will google this question too. Appreciate replies on this. Thanks!

For a starter, I would run the web pages through the W3C validator and fix what needs fixing - also through CSS validation.
Some browsers are more tolerant when it comes to coding errors than others.
A site with no coding errors will also load faster.

Once that is done and the code is clean, check it again on the PC and Mac.

Last edited:

krs

Reaction score
Not sure aboiut that. I've a friend who is a website designer; when I had my Widows machine she would often ask me to look at a site to see if everything was working properly as she used Mac.
I do that as well on my Mac for a friend's website since he only has a PC.
The biggest issue he had was the special coding required for Internet Explorer - he just decided it wasn't worth the hassle and his websites now state "May not be compatible with Internet Explorer".

Any differences we found between say, Firefox on the PC and Firefox on the Mac were negligible (if there were any at all).
If a site is coded correctly, the chances arethat it will display correctly on either platform.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's rare to come across a site that can't deal with Internet Explorer. Now that Microsoft is promoting Edge, that probably would be a better browser to use for compatibility. Edge works well for both Windows and the Mac since it's built on the open source Chromium engine.

krs

Reaction score
It's rare to come across a site that can't deal with Internet Explorer.
Yes...
But as I understand it, depending on functionality, some parts of a website had to be specially coded to accommodate IE.
When IE had a large market share that was worth it, but not any longer.

OP
J
Reaction score

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Here is my website. I am still building it, but please let me know if the Menu Headers are opening up. As I mentioned, someone I know who has a MAC is telling me they are not opening up for him. Really appreciate it. Here it is: InTheKnowNews (non-working link removed) -- hope it works for you! Jenn

OP
J
Reaction score
I think it's always a good idea when putting together a website or making changes...as a quality control check)...to check all major browsers to make sure everything is working properly (Chrome, Safari, FireFox, etc.).

Parts of our website (Mac-Forums) have been hand-coded (html)...and Navbar buttons similar to what you mentioned work fine in both Chrome & Safari.

Are you coding with html5 tags...and using CSS? If using older deprecated html tags...they may not be rendering as you might expect.

- Nick
Thanks for your reply< Nick. My site is somewhat of a template. I know some coding, but what I am using is called Brilliant Directories.

Here is my website. I am still building it, but please let me know if the Menu Headers are opening up. As I mentioned, someone I know who has a MAC is telling me they are not opening up for him. Really appreciate it. Here it is: InTheKnowNews (non-working link removed) -- hope it works for you! Jenn

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I will ask my friend again. Here is my website. I am still building it, but please let me know if the Menu Headers are opening up. As I mentioned, someone I know who has a MAC is telling me they are not opening up for him. Really appreciate it. Here it is: InTheKnowNews (non-working link removed) -- hope it works for you! Jenn

krs

Reaction score
Menu headers open up fine for me.
I'm running Mojave (on the Mac) an Firefox as the browser

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Same for me. I'm also running macOS Mojave and using Safari.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Same here, however, I'm using Catalina and my browser is the latest version of Chrome. Everything seems to work; menus, and sub-menus.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for your reply< Nick. My site is somewhat of a template. I know some coding, but what I am using is called Brilliant Directories.

Here is my website. I am still building it, but please let me know if the Menu Headers are opening up. As I mentioned, someone I know who has a MAC is telling me they are not opening up for him. Really appreciate it. Here it is: InTheKnowNews (non-working link removed) -- hope it works for you! Jenn

I'm using Safari on my Mac...I clicked on everything in the NavBar...and all seems to be working fine.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Because they cost money. :)

Hmmm...??? I just tried some and most provided some hints for improvements, most of which I did not understand, but I did not notice them asking for money.

And really, why are so many advisors here so adamant or negative about spending money for a service or product???
I find that quite strange, especially if it is for something useful and worthwhile.

- Patrick
=======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
As someone who's developed websites, these freebie are OK. But if you want true cross-browser, cross-platform testing, there are many companies that do that work and that infrastructure is quite expensive to maintain and so it gets spendy.

For a business that needs perfect performance it makes sense to utilize these tools, which I've done in the past.

For freelancers, this is cost prohibitive and the usual method of testing is just to find people with different OS' and different browsers and have them test things out.

krs

Reaction score
I tried four of the web page testers that came up with the google link Patrick postet.
None charged anything, but the results were also not very consistent or even useful.
I just use the W3C validator and leave it at that.

Re
For a business that needs perfect performance it makes sense to utilize these tools, which I've done in the past.

I wish more commercial sites would do that - some of them are terrible

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.