Mac Air OS X 10.9.5 screenshot being saved to unknown location

Reaction score
Problem taking screenshots. When I take a screenshot, Command + Shift + 4, then space key (or ctrl key), I can hear the sound of them being taken but I do not know where the screenshots go. In the past they went to the Desktop but not anymore. When I look for them using "Finder", tracing all files with screenshot in the name I do not find the recent ones (last month) on the list. It seems like they have not been saved.

Reaction score
Put them back on the desktop. Open Terminal and do this:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture location /Users//Desktop/
Replace "" with the name of the user on your system. Next, log out and back in to make the change, or enter the following command to restart the SystemUIServer:
killall SystemUIServer

Or you can use Tinkertool.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi Craig, thanks for the advice but I am unable to implement your advice.
I found the Terminal. The terminal window I opened had the following content.

Last login: Tue Sep 30 17:52:30 on ttys000
Dirks-MacBook-Air:~ dirkhoremans$

But I am not sure what to do next. Sorry for being an idiot. Dirk

Reaction score
Right after the $ paste this: defaults write com.apple.screencapture location ~/Desktop/
( I changed the command to make it shorter, does the same thing)
Now logout/login to make the change stick.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks again Craig, I managed to follow your advice. When logging in I did take a screenshot (CMD + CTRL + Shift + 4) but looking at my desktop I couldn't find it. Although I spotted a new "untitled folder" as well as one (and only one) of the many screenshot I took this afternoon on the Desktop. Can you help me again? What did I do wrong? Best, Dirk

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I never use CTRL here and never have. Here it's CMD+Shift+4 or +3.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just tried it your way with CTRL also down and nothing appeared on my desktop. My way it's there every time.

Ah Ha! thought so,.

Key combination What it does
Command-Shift-3 Capture the screen to a file
Command-Shift-Control-3 Capture the screen to the Clipboard
Command-Shift-4 Capture a selection of the screen to a file, or press the spacebar to capture just a window
Command-Shift-Control-4 Capture a selection of the screen to the Clipboard, , or press the spacebar to capture just a window

Holding Control with the other keys does it to the Clipboard!!! The Buffer and not the desktop! Do it the way I said above and report back.

OP
D
Reaction score
A big thanks Denis, this does solves my problem completely. Thanks to you all for all this prompt advice. Best, Dirk

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A big thanks Denis, this does solves my problem completely. Thanks to you all for all this prompt advice. Best, Dirk

I edited my post. Go back and read. It's going to the Clipboard instead of Desktop due to the CTRL!

Glad I could help.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi Denis, another thanks for this additional information, this is very useful to know this clipboard approach.
Much appreciated,
Dirk

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.