@mac account

Reaction score
hi all .... I have just bought a barely new macbook!! I formated the mac and now it asks for an activation key. I canceled it and it no longer appears again. But the person i bought the mac from didn't know anything about this key. So Is every Mac OsX have an activation key? and if i lost it some how, how can i retrieve it. and one more thing ? can i have a free full member ship of @mac account i have their device ( I tried to create an account but it is not free unless i have an activation account)!!!
FYI: The person, i bought it from didn't know anything about the activation key. And i'm sure he didn't create an account in @mac. He is not trying to hide this at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
An activation key? Never heard of the Mac OS needing to be activated or having a serial number. Same goes for a .Mac account...

Reaction score
There shouldn't be any activation key... (activation key=Microsoft). I'm not sure what you're talking about. I just bought my first macbook about a month ago... the only thing I did was register. However, you can get a 60 trial with .Mac, but after that it's $100 I think for a year (well worth it to me). There are a lot of features .mac offers if you look around. What exactly do you mean by saying you formatted your mac? Did you do a clean install of os X?

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Mba7eth.

As others have pointed out there is no activation key unless you mean registering the MacBook at the Apple website for Apple Care.

And you can see all there is to know about .Mac right here.

OP
M
Reaction score
I did installed a clean osx. during the installation is asked for an activation key and i choosed later.
Check this link at the bottom left it asks if you have an activation key

M

MacHeadCase

That's when you pay and receive it by email to register the .Mac account? I would guess this is when your trial expires?

I got mine years ago and it renews itself automatically every year. No need for me to activate whatsoever. So I really don't remember this.

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the case, but THAT particular activation key is probably for someone who has a certificate or did an online purchase for it... or something like that. It has nothing to do with your operating system, and I'm still confused about that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.