Mac access problem

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi -- I have an old iMac which runs a windows partition. For some time now, to get into the mac operating system (Snow Leopard) I’ve had to go through the procedure of switching on the computer and holding down the mac command key + S key to get into the command prompt, and then typing: mount -uw / followed by exit.
I think the big question is...why did this computer (or why was this computer setup in this manner)...need to log into "Single User Mode"...which is what command + s on startup does...in order to boot into the macOS?

Normally if a computer was setup as a dual boot computer (Windows and Snow Leopard in this case). You would hold down the Option key on startup...then select which partition to boot into (Windows or macOS).

Here's are article that explains Single User Mode:

In one section of the article it says:

"When your Mac boots in single-user mode, instead of loading all the services and extensions you need to use it and then displaying a graphical user interface, it loads the bare minimum needed to run and presents you with a command line.

That can be quite daunting if you’ve never used a command-line interface or aren’t comfortable using one. And if that’s the case for you, the single-user mode is best avoided. However, particularly on older Macs with hard drives rather than Fusion drives or SSDs, it can be a useful way to run repairs on your boot disk. This is usually done by running the ‘fsck’ command after booting in safe mode
."

Single user mode is really something best used for repairing or troubleshooting issues...maybe not something that should be done on a regular basis. I don't know the history of this computer...but when using the command line interface like this regularly (a very powerful feature)...if just one keystroke is done incorrectly one time...if that keystroke matches a command that can do something bad to the computer...could be in for some serious issues.

I know this info may not help now that there is an issue...just trying to better understand why this computer was setup/operated in this manner?

Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks Nick. As I remember (and this was some years ago now), when booting up for the MacOS it just started to hang and go no further. I looked online and found another way in by way of the command prompt --> mount -uw / --> exit. And since then it's been working fine up until recently. Yes, it's quite possible that I accidentally typed something that has caused the access problem. Is it possible that re-installing Snow Leopard might fix it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick. As I remember (and this was some years ago now), when booting up for the MacOS it just started to hang and go no further. I looked online and found another way in by way of the command prompt --> mount -uw / --> exit. And since then it's been working fine up until recently.
Good deal. Was just wondering if there was a special reason for this setup.
Yes, it's quite possible that I accidentally typed something that has caused the access problem. Is it possible that re-installing Snow Leopard might fix it?
To be honest I'm not sure. That command line interface can be very powerful...and can sometimes change the way the computer operates at a very deep level. To reverse things you need to know what was done...and then reverse it.

Of course if nothing was done incorrectly via the command line...then maybe a Snow Leopard reinstall has a good chance to fix things.

When you booted the computer with your Snow Leopard disk...and used Disk Utility...did you see two separate partitions (one for Snow Leopard & one for Windows)?

If so great...you of course would to reinstall Snow Leopard into the current macOS partition. Question is...does this Snow Leopard partition have anything in it that you don't want to lose? If a Snow Leopard reinstall was done...it may wipe out everything in the current Snow Leopard partition.

Another idea to consider...is booting the computer from an external drive with the macOS installed on it. If this was done then the 2 partitions from the internal drive should simply show up on the desktop as data disks (hopefully if they're readable). Then you'd have access to them to copy anything important before any OS reinstall attempts.

You could also run Disk Repair from Disk Utility (from the external drive)...on the internal drive...and see if this helps.

Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
When you booted the computer with your Snow Leopard disk...and used Disk Utility...did you see two separate partitions (one for Snow Leopard & one for Windows)?

Yes. And luckily all the data files associated with my Logic Pro are saved on an external drive.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would think if you have copies of all your important files...and you're able to reinstall all important apps...then doing a fresh reinstall of Snow Leopard might be something to try.

If it were me...I think I would still want to boot the computer from an external drive...so I could gain access to the contents of the internal drive...just to be 100% sure I had copies of everything important.

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.