Mac access problem

Reaction score
Hi -- I have an old iMac which runs a windows partition. For some time now, to get into the mac operating system (Snow Leopard) I’ve had to go through the procedure of switching on the computer and holding down the mac command key + S key to get into the command prompt, and then typing: mount -uw / followed by exit. This has been working fine, but recently I can no longer get to the command prompt as the computer goes straight into windows (even if I select the mac from the mac-or-windows choice tab window). I’m guessing that it’s possible that at some point I miss-typed the mount -uw / command and kind of locked it into windows. Anyway, if someone could advise me on a fix for this I’d be very grateful.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When rebooting the computer...maybe try pressing & holding down the "Option" key while it reboots. This usually will give you the option of choosing which OS to boot into. Hopefully your Snow Leopard partition will be one of them.

Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks Mick, but unfortunately that doesn't work -- even though I choose the mac OS it still goes straight into windows. Frustrating!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry to hear the "Option" key idea while booting doesn't work.

Here's an Apple article you may have seen that explains how to boot back & forth between the macOS & Windows (when both are installed):

Unfortunately it seems to suggest the same thing...press the Option key while booting...and select the desired partition.

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
And the Option key needs to be pressed and held down, not just tapped. Hold it down until the options appear.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And, again maybe, it requires a wired Keyboard so that the "Hold Down Option Key" will be recognised early on in the reboot process?

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Do you use the Mac partition much or is it just a way to access the Windows partition?

OP
G
Reaction score
I use the Mac partition for running the Logic Pro recording software. And today I tried every combination I could find online for starting up the iMac in some mode or other, but no luck. I even went into Windows --> system --> Bootcamp and selected the option to restart in Mac mode -- but still it opened up in Windows! It seems it really doesn't want to start up in Mac.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi Bob -- I tried all three of those (more than once) but still it just goes to Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Are you using a USB keyboard or a wireless keyboard?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
There are a couple of things that I'd like you to consider:

Firstly, can you go into Disk Utility (DU) and post a screenshot of your hard drive and its partitions.

This may help us understand the exact setup.

Secondly, do you have the original Install DVD of Snow leopard?

And an extra thought - in Post #7, I mentioned that a wired Keyboard may be necessary because the "Hold Down Option Key", or other Key combinations, often require the action to be initiated early in the boot up process and Bluetooth KBs are usually not recognised until later on.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, I see Bob has brought that up as well. My typing is too slow.

Ian

OP
G
Reaction score
I am using a wired Windows keyboard, which I've been using with the Mac for many years now. I use the Alt key for Option and the Windows key for Command.

Unless accessing the Disk Utility can be done in Windows I won't be able to provide that screenshot, as I can't get into the Mac OS at all at the moment.

Yes, I do have the Snow Leopard installation DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The Snow Leopard DVD should have a Utilities folder to allow you to fix your system. Insert it and hold option (Alt) to get to the boot options screen.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Snow Leopard DVD should have a Utilities folder to allow you to fix your system. Insert it and hold option (Alt) to get to the boot options screen.
Exactly what I was getting at, Bob. Thanks for taking it forward.(y)

Ian

OP
G
Reaction score
Loaded the DVD and went to utilities and selected the Mac OS from the boot options, then restarted -- but it went to Windows again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.