M2.NVME PCIE 2.0 x2 compatibility

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have been rocking a Macbook Pro with retina display 15'' (Model: A1398 MacBookPro11,2) Mid 2014 model since its launch. I wish to upgrade it's SSD which is rather small 250 GBs to a 1GB module. (I know there is the this difference between normal m2 SSD drive pins vs. Apple proprietary pins. So I already got an adapter for this.) However there is still things that I do not get:

1- My Macbook model's slot is PCIE 2.0 x2. However almost all the new m2 SSDs are newer PCIE models. Like: 2.0 x2 or 3.0 x4. What I want to know is if all these are backwards compatible with my earlier slot version.
2- The Everymac website says that Cylinder Mac Pro's SSD blade is compatible with my macbook pro and gives faster results. I checked what kind of SSD the Cylinder Mac Pro has: PCIe 2.0 x4. So this answers my first question, right?
3- Finally, what is the difference between the 2.0 3.0 4.0 versions vs x2 x3 x4 versions. Can someone explain this to me like I am 5 years old?

PS: Please see my SSD information screenshot and relevant piece from the Everymac article.

Thanks a lot.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-04-at-13-22-31.png

Screen-Shot-2021-01-04-at-13-23-59.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure anyone here can answer that.

What I would suggest is give Mac Sales (OWC) a call on their toll free line and ask for support. They should be able to fill you in on what you need and also answer your #3 question.

1-800-275-4576

www.macsales.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
1- My Macbook model's slot is PCIE 2.0 x2. However almost all the new m2 SSDs are newer PCIE models. Like: 2.0 x2 or 3.0 x4. What I want to know is if all these are backwards compatible with my earlier slot version.

1.A (most NVME drives are backwards compatible and will run at the speed the interface allows so you wouldn't have any problem running an x3 / x4 in the x2 slot)

2- The Everymac website says that Cylinder Mac Pro's SSD blade is compatible with my macbook pro and gives faster results. I checked what kind of SSD the Cylinder Mac Pro has: PCIe 2.0 x4. So this answers my first question, right?

2.A (and yes It answers your question im using one of them adapters with a 1tb drive and its working fine for me in my iMac)

3- Finally, what is the difference between the 2.0 3.0 4.0 versions vs x2 x3 x4 versions. Can someone explain this to me like I am 5 years old?

3.A (the difference here is the speed in which the drives will run at if my memory serves me correctly)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.