M1 Macbook Air for Flask + Django with external monitor

Reaction score
I wish to purchase a MacBook which I will use to learning programming and web app development using Flask and Django (Harvard university's CS50). I am looking at the base variant of the M1 Macbook Air (8 GB RAM + 256 GB storage). I will use an external monitor with the Macbook. Will this MacBook take the kind of load which I will put on it?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
For local development, the M1 MBA is totally fine and should handle the load put by these tools without any issues. I'd be more worried about the Intel MBA not handling it.

Compare the benchmarks of the Intel and M1 versions.

The multi-core score for the Intel version is 3027, while the M1 version is 7369, which is double the performance.

OP
S
Reaction score
For local development, the M1 MBA is totally fine and should handle the load put by these tools without any issues. I'd be more worried about the Intel MBA not handling it.

Compare the benchmarks of the Intel and M1 versions.

The multi-core score for the Intel version is 3027, while the M1 version is 7369, which is double the performance.
Is the RAM immaterial in that case? The comparisons do not have RAM, only processors!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
RAM is indeed important and the M1 has 8GB which is more than the 4GB that comes with the MBA unless you upgrade. So with the 8 cores and 8GB of RAM, the M1 MBA is a much more capable machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.