lost contacts

Reaction score
All the contacts on my iMac are suddenly gone. they were there yesterday, but not today. Am using an iMac desktop running 10.13.6. These are NOT contacts on the cloud. I have auto back up via time machine, But the only "contacts" available there is the contacts "application" and that does not restore. please help

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums. Thank you for your post.

Normally, the way to recover data such as Contacts is:

Open Contacts on your iMac It will presumably be empty from what you say.

With Contacts open, Click on the Time Machine (TM) icon in the top menu bar and, from the dropdown, choose, "Enter Time Machine".

Wait a few seconds and on your right side you will see a Time Line. Choose a date in the past when your contacts were intact. You will easily see whether the Contacts is populated.

Then Click on Restore. Let us know if that works.

Whatever you do, do NOT enter TM from Finder, only the way I described.

Ian

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks Ian, but something is wrong. Followed your instructions and everything look good until after hitting the restore button. I then got a message asking if I would like to restore "one" item.....even though there were dozens and dozens to restore. I restored the one, and I'd say I only had 10 to 15 recent of my contacts.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hello Again Ian. After some additional attempts .....IT WORKED......many, many thanks. Your help was direct and to the point and worked wonderfully. Many thanks.
A quick question..(if I may) where in Scotland are you from? All my people are from Bigger Scotland.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@pastadog

Firstly, I'm thrilled that it all worked out for you. Well done!

where in Scotland are you from?

My wife and I are both from Edinburgh; born, bred and educated there. I remember Biggar very well. Family outings used to take in the countryside around there and, of course, it was on the way to what was then the A74, now the M74.

Ian

OP
P
Reaction score
We actually visited Edinburgh and Bigger about 6 years ago.....had a great time. Thanks again Ian.....if you need any kind of "good job" vote for your mac-forum status please let me know. As I'm new to the site I don't see any way to rate your help (if that's even done?) It was excellent.
Many Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Welcome to the forum. As you've discovered there's lots of helpful here when you need it.

To give Ian a rep bump go to the post where he gave helpful information and click on the little "thumbs up" sign at the bottom of the post. You'll be asked to agree or disagree and leave a comment if you like. Then click OK.

OP
P
Reaction score
A quick beginner question.....is there any way to put an MacForum icon on my desktop so I don't have to go to google each time I want to use it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
A quick question..(if I may) where in Scotland are you from? All my people are from Bigger Scotland.

I have no idea if they are related or not, but if you ever visit Canada you may want to pay a visit to Biggar Saskatchewan.

But I dare say It will certainly be bigger, sprawling and flater than your Bigger Scotland, then they even have a famous saying:
Biggar Saskatchewan... The town is known for its slogan "New York is big, but this is Biggar."

BTW: Welcome to mac-forums.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ignore... duplicate post...

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A quick beginner question.....is there any way to put an MacForum icon on my desktop so I don't have to go to google each time I want to use it?

Just include the bookmark for our site in your favorites. No need to have a special icon on your desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Just include the bookmark for our site in your favorites. No need to have a special icon on your desktop.

If you prefer to have the URL's favicon on your Desktop, just click and hold and drag it to where you want on your desktop. ie:

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 11.48.23 AM.png

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@pastadog

An alternative to having the Mac Forum icon in your Desktop, you could do something very simple.

Open the Mac Forum on its home page. Now Right Click on the Tab and, from the choices, choose "Pin Tab".

What this does is pin that home page Tab permanently on the far left of your tabs (until you remove it - Right > Unpin Tab).

So every time you open Safari, you can see it. Click it to open that home page. It will remain there even if you Quit Safari, even if you reboot the Mac.

Just a thought. Just another idea.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So every time you open Safari, you can see it. Click it to open that home page

it seems that the "pin/unpin tab" works in a similar way wiyj Goohle Chtome.

Thanks Ian, I had forgotten and don't often use that feature.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
After some additional attempts .....IT WORKED......

So great that you found your lost contacts! Always keep a spare set of glasses around; that will make finding your contacts easier. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@ pastadog

pastadog, you didn't ask and it wasn't mentioned, but I thought I should mention in case you are a keyboarder that you should be able to use a keyboard shortcut or even some utilities that can accomplish the same thing, by using a keyboard shortcut to access the macforums site or any other site you want.

I use simplekeys.app and utilize the surplus f-keys of my Apple extended keyboard, but there are other similar apps:
A more current version is available here:
SimpleKeys for Mac - Free Download Version 2.6.12 | MacUpdate

Just a single key press or Key Combination and the command is done. Simple fast and easy.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So great that you found your lost contacts! Always keep a spare set of glasses around; that will make finding your contacts easier. ;)

:rofl :app

I must say that this Post had to be one of the funniest things I have read on these forums. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 4 Macs, most recent 2020, 13.3 MacBook Air running on osMac 10.15.3
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums. Thank you for your post.

Normally, the way to recover data such as Contacts is:

Open Contacts on your iMac It will presumably be empty from what you say.

With Contacts open, Click on the Time Machine (TM) icon in the top menu bar and, from the dropdown, choose, "Enter Time Machine".

Wait a few seconds and on your right side you will see a Time Line. Choose a date in the past when your contacts were intact. You will easily see whether the Contacts is populated.

Then Click on Restore. Let us know if that works.

Whatever you do, do NOT enter TM from Finder, only the way I described.

Ian
If like me, you don't use Time Machine as it';s not bootable, you'll wish you'd bought Carbon Copy Cloner where you can clone your HD onto an external HD which IS bootable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Actually, TM is bootable, has been for a while. The boot will be to a restore function, but it is bootable. The idea is you replace a dead drive, boot the TM backup, restore to the new drive and off you go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 4 Macs, most recent 2020, 13.3 MacBook Air running on osMac 10.15.3
Well most Technicians for Apple UK tel me otherwise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.