Lost Apple Garamond font

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Today I find that the Apple Garamond font has gone since I upgraded to Ventura. How can I recover it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Have you tried opening Font Book and doing a search on "Garamond?" I found Apple Garamond Pro in the book and I'm on Ventura.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
How can I recover it?

If you cannot find it on your Mac, and Find Any File.app can help you locate it, or you could just download it from here and others:

I wonder if your upgrade to Ventura moved or removed it???
I guess you are quite observant to actually notice that it seems it was missing.

- Patrick
=======

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried opening Font Book and doing a search on "Garamond?" I found Apple Garamond Pro in the book and I'm on Ventura.
Thanks Jake. I had opened a file called Fonts in Library but it has very few fonts so just now I downloaded apple-garamond from wfonts.com. I use LibreOffice and it immediately found the font from the Downloads file. I moved the Apple Garamond file to Fonts in Library and it still found it. I am puzzled because a search for .ttf after I had downloaded it went straight the newly downloaded file but didn't find any other fonts. I hope that you can make sense of that rather prolix explanation.

Colin.

Last edited:
OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you cannot find it on your Mac, and Find Any File.app can help you locate it, or you could just download it from here and others:

I wonder if your upgrade to Ventura moved or removed it???
I guess you are quite observant to actually notice that it seems it was missing.

- Patrick
=======
Thanks Patrick. I think my reply to Jake is also appropriate to your solution. Its disappearance is all a bit of a mystery as it appears only to be the Apple Garamond fonts that had gone but I can't find out where all the other fonts are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is an app called "Font Book" in your applications folder. That is how to manage fonts, including adding a new font you have downloaded. Be careful with directly manipulating font files from Finder, there are a lot of way to create big problems if you don't know what you are doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am puzzled because a search for .ttf after I had downloaded it went straight the newly downloaded file but didn't find any other fonts.

For what it's worth, I found two copies of Garamond font, one is called Garamond.ttc (notice its .ttc extension) and seems to have come with an iWork application and is in a separate folder, and another one also called Garamond, a font suitcase that seems to have come with a Microsoft Office installation I assume and in a folder labelled Microsoft, not in any "Fonts" folder.

I'm not sure if any of this information helps you or not. Not too unsurprisingly, Spotlight did not find any of them, but Find Any File.app did.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll say it once more. Use Font Book to manage fonts. They can be all over the place in various libraries and folders. Just use Font Book.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Use Font Book to manage fonts. They can be all over the place in various libraries and folders. Just use Font Book.

Good point Jake, but I did not see any mention if the OP had used it or not or how the OS update had been done that might account for the disappearance the particular missing font.

But that doesn't make sense when the font seems to be included with the installation of macOS 13 Ventura:
Fonts included with macOS Ventura:
Garamond 13.0d1e2
Garamond Bold 13.0d1e2
Garamond Bold Italic 13.0d1e2
Garamond Italic 13.0d1e2

Maybe not the particular version that was required was missing from the latest Mac OS install???

- Patrick
=======.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, I suggested Font Book in post #2, the very first response to the OP. I run Ventura and would the font there, with a slightly different name.

Font Book is Apple's app to manage fonts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, I suggested Font Book in post #2, the very first response to the OP. I run Ventura and would the font there, with a slightly different name.

Font Book is Apple's app to manage fonts.

I found it interesting if not somewhat confusing when using a Google search for "Garamond font" as to the various variations, and some with slightly different names, and some fixed in size and style, and others with all kinds of extras included, and I assume some have slight differences from one another.

I didn't look further for example into what if any difference is between Microsoft garamond font and the Apple garamond font, except in name obviously. And there seem to be others with various extensions for various included styles and sizes.

All part of the bewildering and confusing world of computer fonts I guess.

And thanks anyway for the Font Book.app info, but I am quite aware all of its abilities and usage.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.