Lost an important email...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 Mac Mini
I found an email this morning in my (Mac Mail ) Junk mailbox (Comcast email). I remember flagging it with an orange flag, but I can't remember if this was before or after moving it to my InBox. Now, it's missing. I have the name and company of the person who sent it, but a search of both Mail and the Mac come up with nothing. I checked my web version of Comcast mail, nothing. I did a Time Machine, but it didn't let me restore anything and when I go back to Time Machine now, the Junk part of my Mac Mail program is grayed out.

Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you have the Mail app open when you tried to restore from Time Machine? In order to restore Mail from Time Machine you must first open the Mail app and then enter Time Machine. Time Machine will then show you Mail from the various backups it made.

OP
Reukeboom
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 Mac Mini
I did have the Mail open when using Time Machine... it would show me the dates where it had backed up, but the option to scroll (two arrow buttons) were grayed out and the lines in the timeline were all red (I don't think that is good?) I was wondering if there is any server-oriented way to restore an email from Comcast. I doubt it, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Kills me that this happened, I never lose emails and all I remember doing was moving it from Junk and giving it a Flag.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like you did the restore the correct way. And no, if Comcast has not retained that particular email on its server, it's probably lost.

The only way is to get the sender of the email to send it again (if possible).

krs

Reaction score
@Reukeboom
What method did you use to search?
I now use "Find Any File" and it finds files that the search mechanism in macOS or Apple Mail doesn't find

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.