Lost all my photos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
and the need for a robust back up strategy

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
This situation is one of the many, many reasons why we advise people to not fall too far behind the latest OS X releases.

Sigh… I'm sure the OP doesn't really appreciate reading your ongoing repetitious upgrade sermon with their situation at this point. Maybe time to cool it in certain situations such as this or at least provide something constructive. :Not-Amused:

OP
P
Reaction score
Sigh… I'm sure the OP doesn't really appreciate reading your ongoing repetitious upgrade sermon with their situation at this point. Maybe time to cool it in certain situations such as this or at least provide something constructive. :Not-Amused:

That was my immediate thought but not wanting to offend anyone I chose not to comment. Your comment is very much appreciated.

That said I have some very good news to report. I tried all the many suggestions offered but none of them seemed to work. Then, with absolutely no idea of what I was doing, I solved my problem. To refresh everyone's memory, I have two EHDs, one for digital storage (iMovie, iPhoto, etc) and a second I bought to backup via Time Machine. After setting this all up I believe I was told through this forum that Time Machine backs up the Mac only and not other EHDs. Even so, in desperation I looked at the backups and saw my G1 drive listed (including iPhoto) so went back pre problem, clicked restore and, after an eternity the files were restored including keywords and other features that had apparently disappeared. I have no idea why this worked but would rather have them back in ignorance than lose them and know why.

I find this forum an invaluable tool and it has solved many problems (not all) for me. I suppose analysis of my issues are more complicated because I am far behind most of you experts in operating system, iPhoto versions, etc but I sincerely appreciate the dedication and generous help offered by the community. I doubt Windows has anything comparable

Thank you all

poppi

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All is well that ends well. :) Glad to hear you have all your photos back and please do keep on making backups with Time Machine. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was my immediate thought but not wanting to offend anyone I chose not to comment. Your comment is very much appreciated.

That said I have some very good news to report. I tried all the many suggestions offered but none of them seemed to work. Then, with absolutely no idea of what I was doing, I solved my problem. To refresh everyone's memory, I have two EHDs, one for digital storage (iMovie, iPhoto, etc) and a second I bought to backup via Time Machine. After setting this all up I believe I was told through this forum that Time Machine backs up the Mac only and not other EHDs. Even so, in desperation I looked at the backups and saw my G1 drive listed (including iPhoto) so went back pre problem, clicked restore and, after an eternity the files were restored including keywords and other features that had apparently disappeared. I have no idea why this worked but would rather have them back in ignorance than lose them and know why.

I find this forum an invaluable tool and it has solved many problems (not all) for me. I suppose analysis of my issues are more complicated because I am far behind most of you experts in operating system, iPhoto versions, etc but I sincerely appreciate the dedication and generous help offered by the community. I doubt Windows has anything comparable

Thank you all

poppi

I'm glad to hear things worked out for you.

But I think this might be a good time to mention and remind some people the iPhoto is not the only application for handling one's photos, if fact I know of some local photographers that now refuse tallow iPhoto anywhere near any of their photos.

If you're at least close to being like them and want better control of your photos, and safekeeping, I'd strongly suggest doing some web searches for alternate applications. And especially if one is using older OS X versions!!

Or at least export and keep original duplicates somewhere safe and backed up doesn't hurt either.

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear things worked out for you.

But I think this might be a good time to mention and remind some people the iPhoto is not the only application for handling one's photos, if fact I know of some local photographers that now refuse tallow iPhoto anywhere near any of their photos.

If you're at least close to being like them and want better control of your photos, and safekeeping, I'd strongly suggest doing some web searches for alternate applications. And especially if one is using older OS X versions!!

Or at least export and keep original duplicates somewhere safe and backed up doesn't hurt either.

An interesting suggestion. Can you suggest alternative programs which are similar to iPhoto and are reasonably affordable?

Thank you

poppi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An interesting suggestion. Can you suggest alternative programs which are similar to iPhoto and are reasonably affordable?

Thank you

poppi

Sorry poppi, but no I don't know of any off hand.

I do very little with iPhoto and for the few photos I do keep, they are in my own user Finder folders which I give iPhoto access to and do its import. So basically I end up with duplicates. And at least iPhoto won't hold one set hostage. ;)

I guess I'd try a web search on 'mac iPhoto alternative' or something like that.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@poppi — good for you!

@nickyr — I liked your Basil Fawlty; and I'm not from Barcelona. I guess I'll come to like the new one:)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
poppi

I'm so glad you got your photos back.

I left iPhoto behind years ago and started using Lightroom to catalogue and edit all my photos. I use the monthly subscription which makes it affordable.

But, if your photographs are important to you, can I please, please stress the need for a more robust back up regime than just time machine. Hard drives are so inexpensive that you can have at least one extra copy of your valuable work / memories.

Personally I have a TM back up but also keep regular back ups of all my RAW files and edited images on separate hard drives. Overkill maybe but my images mean a lot to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@poppi — good for you!

@nickyr — I liked your Basil Fawlty; and I'm not from Barcelona. I guess I'll come to like the new one:)

Ian

Gotta move on Ian! Basil suited me for a while, but now I'm more D.P. Gumby!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I saw early on that the OP believed that TM did not back up external disks and scanning the replies haven't seen anything to counter this. Just for the record my TM happily backs up both my hard drive and external hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.