Losing my password

Reaction score
All,
If I don't use this site for a few months, it drops my password and email, and there's no way to find it again, so I have to re register. Over the years I use the same sign in credentials for all forums (unless they prohibit it). Is it just me, or is there a solution? This is the third time I've had to re register here. (rarely in other forums).

Larryo

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I can only speak for myself, but I've been a member since 2009 and have used the same Username and PW - although, I think for security reasons I changed the PW to something stronger along the way.

Whatever, I've never been locked out, never had to re-register. It is up to the user to remember their Username and PW.

So, I can't quite follow your statement that the forums "drop your password and email". Surely, you just need to log in with your UN and PW?? By the way, if you get stuck logging in, there is a means by which you can leave a personal message for the forum Admins/Mods who will investigate on your behalf.

Re-registration is not normally encouraged here as far as I know.

I don't for a moment disbelieve you; I just don't understand how the problem has occurred.

Ian

krs

Reaction score
I check in here every few days, so it's not the same situation as Larryo,but the few times I have "lost" user name and password (for auto login), I eventually tracked it down to an issue with Firefox.
Safari and some other browsers keep UN and PW in keychain - Firefox does not, it has it's own UN and PW depository and often when I upgrade to a newer version of FF, some of the UNs and PWs (including the ones for this forum) disappear from that FF file.
I don't have to register again - I can use my UN and PW and log in manually, but if I had not done this for months, I probably wouldn't remember what they were.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Good point, krs. But the fact is that you can log in manually as long as you remember your UN and PW.

It's hard to understand Larryo's post exactly, but I got the impression that he/she wasn't recognised - but now on a re-read, maybe he/she was simply saying that auto-log in failed and he/she didn't recall their UN and PW and kept re-registering - which, if so, then it's the OP's responsibility to remember their UN and PW.

I still think, a PM to the Admin/Mods could clarify things and maybe, just maybe, they can am agate the OP's various identities into one and restore the correct number of posts etc.

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I can't speak for other forums, but we do not purge users due to inactivity. And I can't imagine other forums doing the same for just a few months of inactivity. A few years might be a different story.

Either way, the only thing I can think of is that you forgot the password you used. In which case, you should use the reset password process to update the password as opposed to creating new accounts.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Larryo:

Problems with your registration or password should be addressed via the "Contact Us" forum. Please do not post to a general area. The "Contact Us" forum can only be accessed by the staff.

I just checked our data base and find only one instance of your registration. It's possible that if you have used a different user name each time, you could have multiple registrations.

Under our old software (vBulletin) more than one registration would have banned you automatically. I see no record of that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.