• Mac-Forums.com will not in any way, shape, or form be held liable for anything that happens in this forum. It is up to you to make a sound decision on whether to buy or sell to someone here. This forum is only provided as a convenience for our memebers.

Use of this forum is at your own risk.

For further information on protecting yourself in online transactions, please visit the usa.gov-online-safety website.

A few things to keep in mind:

• This forum is use at your own risk
    • The moderators and staff of this forum will have nothing to do with private transactions. Use common sense!
    • Flaming and personal attacks are prohibited and you could be banned without warning for participating in such things.
    • This forum will only be visible by members
    • The most basic rule is USE YOUR COMMON SENSE!!
    • Our forum rules prohibit the discussion of Hackintoshes, this includes the sale of such machines. Any thread advertising a Hackintosh for sale will be deleted and punitive actions may be taken.

Note: Only users with enough posts, an adequate period of time as a member here, and in good reputation standing are able to post in this forum.

Looking to buy used Mac Pro 4.1+/model A1289(2009+)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
As the title states, I'm looking to buy a used Mac Pro. It has to be model year 2009 or higher. Model identifier 4.1 or 5.1, and model number A1289.

I'm not looking to buy a whole combo package, just what came with the Mac Pro as it originally came from Apple. I prefer that the Mac Pro's case be scratch free, unless it drastically lowers the price.

I am a verified PayPal user, and have perfect history on ebay here: me. I will only pay with PayPal if you want to ship it, but I will also be willing to drive a bit if you are anywhere near Cleveland, Ohio for a cash deal.

If you are willing to sell your Mac Pro, feel free to send me a private message with pictures and a price.

Please, don't offer any models from 1.1 to 3.1. I'm not interested in those...even though I still like them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a suggestion if you can wait a few months many more Mac Pros may well be become available as users want to upgrade to the new release due in a couple of months or so. This should also help with the price of used machines.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Very nice! I'm sure you already know this (but just in case)...since you're near a "Big City"...keep an eye on your local Craig's List. This is probably your best way to get a great deal on a used Mac Pro!:)

Since Mac Pro's are so big & heavy...many folks don't like to have to deal with the hassles of boxing & shipping them.

Good luck in your search for a Mac Pro! :)

- Nick

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Thank you both. I know the prices might fall with the release of the new Mac Pro, but I'm just letting anyone know in case the right one comes along. I've been combing through CL for something, but never found anything good.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been combing through CL for something, but never found anything good.

One will pop up when you least expect it. If it's a good/great price...then it may sell fast.

So have your car keys & a pocket full of cash ready to go ASAP!:)

- Nick

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
One will pop up when you least expect it. If it's a good/great price...then it may sell fast.

So have your car keys & a pocket full of cash ready to go ASAP!:)

- Nick

Thanks bud. I actually just recently picked up an XPS720 that I thought was good based on what I remember thinking of it when it first came out, but it's junk and isn't very stable with Windows 8...which I happen to like. I thought the XPS might be enough to not need a MacPro, but it has made me want one even more. I tried to live with two major computers from Apple and Windows OS, but I can't do it anymore. I want OSX to rule my house.
I've slowly been building up to getting one, which you might remember helping me some time ago deciding which model to go with. I've got three 24" Asus 2ms response time screens waiting for a Mac Pro to power them with either 3 GT120 cards or one ATI 5770 card. People seem to have problems running 3 monitors on the 5770 due to dvi and display port issues. The GT120 provides everything I need, and is apparently more reliable in a 2 or 3 card setup. I can get 3 monitors running on only 2 GT120 cards, but 3 cards just for the heck of it:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've got three 24" Asus 2ms response time screens waiting for a Mac Pro to power them with either 3 GT120 cards or one ATI 5770 card.

With those three monitors...a Mac Pro would definitely be better!:)

The GT120 provides everything I need, and is apparently more reliable in a 2 or 3 card setup. I can get 3 monitors running on only 2 GT120 cards, but 3 cards just for the heck of it:)

When you mentioned having 3 GT120 cards (and three monitors)...I was going to mention that you only needed 2 GT120's (for three monitors)...since each GT120 can drive two monitors...but then you mentioned knowing that.;)

For what it's worth...I mentioned a couple of times in the past that I had a 2009 Mac Pro (that I purchased probably 2.5- 3 years ago)...and sold it probably at least 18 months ago.

I had 2 GT120's in it...and just for fun (one time) I hooked up 4 monitors. It was kind of neat for about 15 minutes...but it was a bit overwhelming...and 4 monitors was much more than I needed.

As far as pricing. For my 2009 Mac Pro (3 years ago)...I paid $1150 for it. Which was a terrific terrific price at the time. I think that Mac2Sell had it's estimated value (then) at around $2200. The seller was asking $1600...and I guess that they were motivated to sell it...and I got it for $1150. The seller was a college professor...so I'm assuming that they had at least a basic idea of its value.

I really wasn't using the computer to it's full potential...and I really wanted a newer 17" MBP at the time (my main computer now)...so I sold it to get the funds together for the 17" MBP. I think that I sold it for $1500-$1600 (I forget the exact price now). So I made a few hundred on the sale...but still sold it for well below what it was worth then.

I haven't done any research lately...but I'm thinking that $1150 for a 2009 Mac Pro may still be a decent price even now...2.5+ years later after I purchased it.

About 3-6 months ago (before the new Mac Pro was announced)...I was doing some casual price checking on e-Bay on first gen. Mac Pro's (which I know that you're not interested in)...just to see how the prices were fluctuating. Since dual-cpu Powermac G5's were selling for around $100-$150...I thought maybe the price of 1st gen. Mac Pro's were dropping as well.

To the best of my knowledge...the price of 1st gen. Mac Pro's (about 9-12 months ago) seemed to bottom out at around $550 bucks. But when I checked about 4-6 months ago on e-Bay...the price of 1st gen. Mac Pro's seemed to be increasing somewhat. So I figure that if the value (at the time) of 1st gen. Mac Pro's was increasing...that would also push the price up on Mac Pro 2,1's, 3,1's, 4,1's...etc.

So I'm not 100% sure where prices are now for used Mac Pro's...and how the announcement of the new Mac Pro coming out has affected things (up or down).

I'm assuming you've done some research already. If you were to get a Mac Pro 4,1 (the oldest Mac Pro that meets your needs)...what are you expecting to pay (range)?

Assuming a modest stock setup with a GT120 video card, a single HD, and 6gig of ram...and average cosmetic condition (no serious dents, ding's, or bent handles).

- Nick

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I've been watching every new Mac Pro hitting ebay for about the last 2 weeks, as well as watching the selling trends. There have been a few 4.1 models that sold in the $600 range due to scratches. There are plenty in the $800 range that varied greatly on specs. ALmost all of them had the base 2.66ghz 4-core processor. I have $1200 cash, but I actually don't want to exceed $899. I know the right one will come along that I'm looking for at that price, but also have that difference in $$ for that one model that might be packing that waBAMMM factor. As far as what will work for me, and what I'm looking for: single processor 4-core 2.66ghz. 8gb 1066mhz ram minimum. hdd size doesn't matter much as I have them already, but more is good. I believe this will realistically suit me well for many years to come.

My current work horse is my MBP. Compared to that Mac Pro that I'm looking for, this thing should be a slow pig, but it functions fine, and I only rarely cause it get overwhelmed. My MBP has a Geekbench score of 3129, while that Mac Pro scores 8144. I'm more than happy with that.

I beleive I forgot to mention the key reasons why I need a Mac Pro type computer. Nothing else from Apple can offer such easy access/connectivity to multiple monitors, or offer as many hdd bays. It also looks fantastic, and the fact that my G5 is as reliable as a rock only makes me want one more. I've been starting to notice a problem with all the external hdds I have. I keep on getting files mixed up even though all the drives have their own enclosures and names. I plan on using 3 bays of the Mac Pro to function solely as storage for everything that I currently have on external drives, with partitions to allow for TimeMachine and other separations required. It just seems to simplify things for me so much. I also want to take it easy on my MBP. This baby has been the most reliable piece of technology, let alone computer I have ever owned. I appreciate it a little more now than I did when I first got it.

Been working on another paper tonight and had a lot more caffeine than I should have taken. Going to be a long night.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Finally got my Mac Pro and all I can say is the only way it could have been any better is if it were new.
:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finally got my Mac Pro and all I can say is the only way it could have been any better is if it were new.
:)

Woo Hoo...awesome...congrats!!!:)

- Nick

p.s. It could be an 8-core!;)

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Here's the screen shot I was talking about:
Screen Shot 2013-07-22 at 10.53.38 AM.jpg
The GTX bypasses the boot screen. If you need to access the hdd selection screen during bootup, it can be accessed once logged in via BootChamp. It works really well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.