Looking into getting a mac book

Reaction score
Any help on this would be appreciated.

I am in the UK and thinking of getting a mac book as looking for a laptop to replace my current desktop.

Can anybody help on the following:-

1. I currently access the internet with AOL. Any problems with doing the same on my mac?

2. I would like to get into video editing. Basically shooting holiday videos etc. and then editing and making them into a fun DVD. Is the mac good for this?

3. Only a few basic word processing documents but nothing to technical.

Am I right in thinking mac's are excellent for "creative" type projects like holiday videos?

I would love a mac but I am just worried about issues with AOL so any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
aol should work just as it has with your old computer (i'd suggest something different, but if you like it, to each their own).

video editing is easy, just make sure you have a firewire compatable video camera.

word docs are easy. ms word is available on macs, i believe iwork will open docs in .doc format. and then there's neooffice - free and brilliant!

welcome to the forums and good luck in making your decision and purchase!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
AOL should definitely support Mac, although you would have to check with AOL just to be certain. Connecting through a wireless router means I have no need to install any of the software that Telewest supplied, so I guess the same is probably true of AOL.

MS Word for Macs works great and is probably better than the Windows versions. As Eric said, Pages can open .doc files and I have heard a lot of good things about OpenOffice.

Mac is great for things like video-editing for professionals and beginners a like.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you for your help.

I was thinking that as I would like to access the internet through my wireless router that I probably don't even need to install any software.

Cheers, my mind is set. A macbook it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 13.3"
if its wireless you wouldnt need to do anything at all turn on your mac and select your wireless network and your away

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.