Looking for the latest on External Optical Drives for MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Mac OS X Hints was always a fabulous resource, and I really appreciated it. I don't remember now exactly how it went down or why, but at some point the person doing it was no longer available. I was disappointed that such a great resource might end. So I just contributed a few hints, and they really liked them. They asked me to stay on and do more, which I did for...I don't know how long. I also don't remember how that gag ended.

Here's a thread of the last dying embers of the on-again-off-again MacFixIt resource, it certainly used to be a daily visit for myself and I believe a lot of their good hints are being preserved and they're still useful to some,

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not to be too hubristic, but for a certain amount of time Mac OS X Hints was written by one of our own members! :rolleyes:

I think that it would be really cool if we had a Macintosh Hints section here on this discussion list. I have several saved up that I've been meaning to share.
That was one of my favorite places back in the day. I checked in almost every day to see what new info had been posted.

Reaction score
Here's a thread of the last dying embers of the on-again-off-again MacFixIt resource...

Not many people realize that after MacFixIt was aquired and then died, Topher just went off and created the very similar MacIssues, which is still on the Web:

MacIssues was awesome! But then one day, without a word, Topher stopped writing new content and he just sort of disappeared.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
MacIssues was awesome! But then one day, without a word, Topher stopped writing new content and he just sort of disappeared.

I still come across some excellent Macfixit type articles by Topher Kessler but I must admit I don't know if they were very recent or not and I didn't really think about looking to check. I just assumed he was still writing occasionally for various publications and websites.

It also seems that Apple has locked down their recent OS so much that a user is unable to fix some of the problems and certainly any OS hacks and system mods are now pretty well considered taboo which ends up with not too much to write about.

But a good number of Mac-Forum members seem to be able to come up with some good constructive Mac related material.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.