Looking for off site STORAGE

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am a paying customer also. The files from 2012 must still be on your local hard drive. As MacInWin stated, when they are deleted from my local DropBox folder, in 30 days, they are deleted from the online DropBox. The ultimate goal is to free up storage on my local drive, but have them accessible through the cloud.

I'm sure you agree. This sounds like a backup service (which you mentioned in post #1 you were not looking for)…and not a storage service. If this is the case…sounds like it's time to cancel this service. Or keep it as a backup service…and get a second service for the backup goal.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You want a cloud storage service then.. something like Amazon Cloud, Google Drive, or.. maybe even Box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
2 words: iCloud Drive

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
My whole thought process is to STORE files offline so I can free up space on my Mac.

If I read pixeltaker correctly, he/she wants to get stuff off the Mac onto a storage facility which does not add, delete or change anything unless the OP does this him/herself.

Most, possibly all, of the suggested solutions are either BU or change in conjunction with changes made on the Mac. In addition, most require you to keep a folder on your Mac. For example, Dropbox or iCloud Drive, so duplicating the number of files on the Mac.

The OP, it seems to me, want to offload tons of stuff from his/her Mac to the equivalent of an EHD in the cloud where it remains accessible and unchanged.

Pixeltaker, is this a correct assessment of your needs and aims?

Ian

OP
P
Reaction score
If I read pixeltaker correctly, he/she wants to get stuff off the Mac onto a storage facility which does not add, delete or change anything unless the OP does this him/herself.

Most, possibly all, of the suggested solutions are either BU or change in conjunction with changes made on the Mac. In addition, most require you to keep a folder on your Mac. For example, Dropbox or iCloud Drive, so duplicating the number of files on the Mac.

The OP, it seems to me, want to offload tons of stuff from his/her Mac to the equivalent of an EHD in the cloud where it remains accessible and unchanged.

Pixeltaker, is this a correct assessment of your needs and aims?

Ian

EXACTLY what I want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 iMac 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7/32G Ram Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, iPhone 6
pixeltaker,

check out this article. it describes un-syncing your service folders from various cloud storage options so that you can move files from your computer to the cloud. of course the down side is if the cloud crashes your files are gone since you're moving them from your computer to the cloud.

http://www.howtogeek.com/199099/save-drive-space-by-offloading-local-files-to-the-cloud/

When I worked for my former company we used two external hard drives for backing up and keeping files off-site. We'd back up on Friday and then take the EHD to our local bank and place it in a safe deposit box and brought the one that stored the previous week back to the office. This way the office could burn down at most we'd lose 5 days of work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
P
Reaction score
So your iCloud Drive can give you that. It's free for up to 5GB, after that there's a graduating fee scale.

I have ICloud but it only seems to upload my phone photos. I was on the phone with Apple tech support for an hour to get my Gmail contacts to upload to iCloud. I know Google and Apple do not play well with each other normally. I'll check into buying more space in ICloud and see if they STORE things instead of BACK UP things. I may have to get in touch with Apple tech support again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Check out this article before you decide on an on line storage site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have ICloud but it only seems to upload my phone photos. I was on the phone with Apple tech support for an hour to get my Gmail contacts to upload to iCloud. I know Google and Apple do not play well with each other normally. I'll check into buying more space in ICloud and see if they STORE things instead of BACK UP things. I may have to get in touch with Apple tech support again.

I'm not totally sure of myself here, having recently jumped from Snow Leopard to El Capitan, but I think there is a difference between iCloud and your iCloud Drive. You can (and maybe already do) have the iCloud drive showing in the sidebar of your Finder windows. Although it is off site internet storage, it behaves as if it is a folder or maybe more like a flash drive. I just drag and drop the items I want to preserve, and it copies them to the Cloud.

OP
P
Reaction score
Okay yes, I see that in my Finder. So after you put them in your iCloud drive, and they are uploaded to the ICloud offsite, can you delete the files in your ICloud drive on your Mac and are they preserved in the ICloud offsite site?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
No! And that's sort of my point. iCloud Drive, like Dropbox and others, has a folder on your Mac. Whatever you put there is copied to the appropriate internet site.

Let's say you have 300MB of data on your Mac. You put it in iCloud or Dropbox folders shown in Finder. In effect, what you are doing is creating duplicates of that 300MB in the folder and syncing this with the internet equivalent. So, there's 300MB on your Mac, 300Mb in the iCloud Drive/Dropbox folder and copies of these on the internet. Change anything in iCloud/Dropbox and that is mirrored on the internet equivalent.

What I know you want (from a previous reply to my post) is to move your data from your Mac to an internet-based site (I called it an EHD equivalent) where space has been freed up on your Mac and where the internet site changes nothing unless you tell it to. In my example above, you want to shed 300MB of data from your Mac to the internet, store it there and access and/or change it at your will.

Ian

M

MacInWin

Did you look at WD MyCLoud as I suggested earlier? You own the cloud device, you get to back it up (or not), your stuff isn't out "there" in some location you don't know. Security is as strong as you want to make it. I have one and use it for Office files and videos to feed my other systems for watching them wherever I am. All I need is a reasonable connection to the internet. And you get to unload from your internal because it's not a "replication" but true storage, just as you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So after you put them in your iCloud drive, and they are uploaded to the ICloud offsite, can you delete the files in your ICloud drive on your Mac and are they preserved in the ICloud offsite site?

No! ... Whatever you put there is copied to the appropriate internet site.

And that's why I would have answered the question, "Yes." You can, but I wouldn't want to. Then the iCloud Drive is your drive, not your back up.

Reaction score
Dropbox allows selective synching. I have more photos then will fit on my MacBook Pro. So I have two folders on Dropbox, one for recent images that I'm editing on the notebook and another that has archived images. The archived folder lives only on Dropbox servers. If you want to move photos to the online-only archive folder, you can open Dropbox in a browser and open the folder. You can then drag-and-drop files from a folder on the local machine to the Dropbox folder in the cloud -- or download specific images from the cloud back to the local Mac.

Selective synch is in the Dropbox settings. It's a bit hard to find because you have to click the gear icon/preferences/Account. You can then find the Selective Setting option. It allows you to choose which folder to sync locally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Mid 2013 1.3 GHz i5 8GB RAM OS X 10.11.6 iMac 2.7GHz i5 8GB RAM OS X 10.9.5
Check out pCloud - https://www.pcloud.com - 20GB free

"Use your files in your online storage space as if they were on your computer's hard drive, but without taking any physical space. No more worries about low disk space!"

Based in Switzerland, offers optional Client-side Encryption.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
I apologize that I am late to this thread. I just found it while researching off site storage.
I wanted to add information about a service that might or might not be of interest.

There is an offsite storage service that is kind of a hybrid. It can store deleted files forever. It also automatically backs up new or changed files at an interval you choose.
The service is called CrashPlan. I use it, but have mixed feelings, as outlined below.

Why I Subscribed:
I came out of the Windows environment and was used to crashed files. I also live & work where a local backup drive might more subject to theft than in some other areas. So, I wanted off site storage. It also had to grab only new or changed files. Keeping deleted files was a nice bonus.
It was the only off site I found that let me choose to keep deleted files and automatically backed up only changed or new files. (You can un-keep deleted files by deselecting them from your backup list. They disappear forever.)

What I Like:
1) It uploads reasonably fast. For your first, giant backup you can (for a fee) have them send you a drive to put your files on & mail back. I did not do this, so I can't comment.
2) I can set it to backup changed & new files at any frequency I wish. (I use 15 minutes so when I nuke a CAD drawing, I can get a 15 minute old version.) It saves versions forever, but after a month it will only save one version per day (or some similar time frame- I can't remember.)
3) They have never lost a file of mine from their server.
4) Files are automatically encrypted before being sent, while in storage & while being restored. They de-crypt automatically upon arrival.
5) If you backup a file, folder or disk image with your own encryption, your encryption remains intact when you restore it.
6) Tech Support is usually fast to reply to inquiries. (Usually) Their replies are useful & address the question.
7) If you want to pause it, Pause is 2 clicks away (If the menu bar icon is enabled) But, all RAM is not released. See number 4, in the next section.
8) It is easy to use Terminal to stop the CrashPlan engine completely & release all RAM. (Or you can use their app)
9) If they update something, they let you know it is available by e-mail & how to install the update.
They are very good about updates not messing with your preferences & existing backups.
10) If you need to do something unusual, they will explain how to do it. (Example: Swapping hard drives or computers & having the old computer's data ether be mixed in with the new or appear separately on the Restore list.)
11) It is very, very customizeable. (Is that a word?)
12) If I am at another computer, like a friend's house, I can go to CrashPlan's web site, sign in & download a file without installing anything on their computer other than the file I just 'restored'. All OS's are OK- Windows, Linux, etc. (This I like a lot)

What I Do Not Like:
1) The interface for setting options & restoring files is just plain awful.
The intention is good & well organized, but it just does not work well. If they could make it work, the layout is great.
An example:
The list of files to restore is presented like a Finder window, but with random folders & sub folders opened. It is really tedious to close the already opened folders & begin to drill down to your choice(s) to restore. I usually find my local Time Machine or clone to get a file is easier. But my Time Machine is not set up for everyday backing up- Only weekly.
2) Also in the interface; if you choose a file, then want another one, it often resets itself to the big mess explained in item 1, above. (Not always, but often)
3) The 'How To' articles on the web site are hard to find. For example, if you type a search for "Set Synchronize Time" you may or may not get appropriate articles. Usually you get random stuff. Once you find the article, they are easy to understand.
4) It uses memory rather greedily while in the background. 413 MB for me. (It uses Java- See the next section...)

Not Sure If These Are Valid "Don't Likes":
1) If you have a sparseimage folder and change one document inside, it backs up the whole sparseimage. If you want to restore a file from inside a sparseimage, you have to download the whole sparseimage & get the file out of it when it arrives. But, Time Machine does that too.
I think that is because, technically, a sparseimage folder is really a giant file. (Just a S.W.A.G on my part)
2) Changes to virtual machines, like a VirtualBox instance of Windows, invoke the entire VM being backed up again. That can take a while. (VM=One Big File?)
I skip the VMs and put copies of newly changed files in the shared folder so CrashPlan can get them. I also use VirtualBox snapshots.

What Others Do Not Like:
1) It runs in a Java environment while doing its automatic background thing. For many, Java is the deal-breaker. I don't know enough to know if I should run away from it based on Java.
2) The interface application for restoring files or changing preferences is also Java based.
It requires you to turn on Java and remember to turn it back off when you close the interface application. (They supply the Java if your OS does not have it)
3) Some people have said it lost their data. I have not had this problem.
4) It does not have a feature to sync between all of their devices. I have not explored this, so I can't give a valid comment.
5) When they decide an OS X version is no longer supported, they pull the DMG off the web site. So if you lose your hard drive, you are out of luck. You do get e-mailed notice before they end support. (I grabbed the DMG for the 10.6.8 compatible version before it disappeared & backed it up to CrashPlan.)
6) You can not see what is being backed up right now. I can see part of the file name in the menu bar icon drop down.

If you think it is worth testing, you can use it for free to back up to a friend's computer via the internet or to a local drive. It uninstalls rather easily and takes Java with it.

So, there it is- My take on CrashPlan.
To be honest, if I find a replacement that does not use Java & is not so memory greedy, but still has deleted file retention and is automatic about backing up only changed files, I'll most likely jump ship.

Hope this is helpful.
I apologize that it is long. I wanted to present all the information that I have available to help people make an informed decision.
Paul

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks. Very informative review.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
My Pleasure, Slydude.
I learn an awful lot here so it is nice to give back when I can. (Which ain't exactly often when it comes to computers.)
Hopefully the post will help someone decide on a service.
Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.