Looking for Monitor Guidance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro mid-2012 Retina OS X 10.15.7 8 GB memory 500 GB storage
My old HP w2207H 22" monitor has finally decided to die. I am looking for a new 24" monitor for less than $400 that is compatible with a mid-2012 MacBook Pro running Sierra.

When searching reviews for MacBook compatible monitors, one rated highly was the Dell Ultra HD 4k 2715Q. However, when reading customer reviews there seemed to be all sorts of gyrations relative to jockying the resolution required to make it perform depending upon what model year the MacBook was. Most of that information was Greek to me. I want something I can plug in and have it work without reegineering the resolution.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Rick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread moved to better area.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.6 15" Retina 2012
My old HP w2207H 22" monitor has finally decided to die. I am looking for a new 24" monitor for less than $400 that is compatible with a mid-2012 MacBook Pro running Sierra.

When searching reviews for MacBook compatible monitors, one rated highly was the Dell Ultra HD 4k 2715Q. However, when reading customer reviews there seemed to be all sorts of gyrations relative to jockying the resolution required to make it perform depending upon what model year the MacBook was. Most of that information was Greek to me. I want something I can plug in and have it work without reegineering the resolution.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Rick

Rick I'm looking for a good 27" to use with my 2012 15" retina MBP. Will pass on any info. I come by that I think might be of help to you.

OP
Rick T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro mid-2012 Retina OS X 10.15.7 8 GB memory 500 GB storage
I bought a 24 inch Dell UltraSharp U2417HJ and had no resolution compatibility problems. Works great for my needs. Cost was $240 from Amazon, but the 27" versions are several hundred more. Good luck with your search.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I have the BenQ 27" monitor at work and it's very good. It's their designer series which means color reproduction is good. They also have a 24" model in that series. My BenQ just works with the HDMI cable and has no problems. Even though it's a 4K monitor, I run it at 2K otherwise the content would be way too small for me to see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought a 24 inch Dell UltraSharp U2417HJ and had no resolution compatibility problems. Works great for my needs. Cost was $240 from Amazon, but the 27" versions are several hundred more. Good luck with your search.

Rick, Thank you.

Reed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the BenQ 27" monitor at work and it's very good. It's their designer series which means color reproduction is good. They also have a 24" model in that series. My BenQ just works with the HDMI cable and has no problems. Even though it's a 4K monitor, I run it at 2K otherwise the content would be way too small for me to see.

Thanks for the reply. I've been reading up on the BenQ GW2765HT 27-Inch 2560x1440 IPS Monitor, 4ms, 100% sRGB, HDMI http://amzn.to/2k0ttO8

It's only around $270 and though well below retina caliber, it would probably suit my uncomplicated needs. Question is whether or not it would work well with my MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.6 15" Retina 2012. If I can talk with a tech at BenQ tomorrow, I'll see what they advise.

I have been using my iMac 27 as an external monitor for the MacBook, but I'm ready to go back to owning just the MacBook.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Any monitor will work with a Mac. There isn't anything special about it. The only real thing to look at is the resolution the monitor supports and what the Mac supports. All recent Macs can drive a 2K monitor no problem, and most can drive 4K, and a few can drive 5K.

Using the HDMI cable, you'll be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any monitor will work with a Mac. There isn't anything special about it. The only real thing to look at is the resolution the monitor supports and what the Mac supports. All recent Macs can drive a 2K monitor no problem, and most can drive 4K, and a few can drive 5K.

Using the HDMI cable, you'll be fine.

Thanks again. Went to Costco this afternoon. Surprisingly little to look at. BJ's, Best Buy, or Amazon will yield a good one I'm sure. Like to buy locally if possible.

Reed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again. Went to Costco this afternoon. Surprisingly little to look at. BJ's, Best Buy, or Amazon will yield a good one I'm sure. Like to buy locally if possible.

Reed

I went to Best Buy this morning and bought this......
LG - 29" IPS LED FHD 21:9 UltraWide FreeSync Monitor
Model: 29UM60-P
http://bit.ly/2B9c1tZ

Just got it set up with the MBP. Looks pretty decent. Using the HDMI to HDMI connection.
$180 plus tax, good price.
Best Buy said I have until January to return it. I think I'll keep it.

Thanks to all for your information and help.

Reed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nice monitor and great price. Are you able to fill the screen with no black bars or borders? Some UltraWide monitors do not play nice with Macs, however, LG usually is OK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice monitor and great price. Are you able to fill the screen with no black bars or borders? Some UltraWide monitors do not play nice with Macs, however, LG usually is OK.

This is what I'm getting with a movie on Am Prime. Also, here's a pic of 3 Word docs side by side. So far so good. Still getting to know this monitor. Like it.
Reed
Monday, November 27, 2017 9:49:47 PM EST

_DSC8854.JPG

_DSC8855.JPG

_DSC8856.JPG

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.