• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Looking for a TSA approved bag to carry two MBPs at once

M

MacInWin

When my wife and I travel, I end up carrying both her MBP and mine, plus the accessories for both. At TSA checkpoints, that means I wrestle with THREE bins--her MBP, mine and the bag. So, I'm looking for a bag that has not one laptop compartment, but two that meet the TSA requirements. My goal is to arrive at the machine, unzip and lay the thing flat in on the rollers, or in a tray and be done with it. TSA says it accepts a trifold bag so I was hoping for one with separate compartments for her MBP, my MBP and the accessories.

I have done some searching and come up empty. Anybody know if such an animal exists? Any recommendations?

EDIT: I'm not looking for a backpack, but more of a briefcase style bag.

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I haven't traveled for business in a couple of years (thus not having to lug my laptop around), but doesn't the TSA still require you to take out large electronics. So yes the backpack might have multiple compartments for the MBPs, but you'd still have to place each one in its own tray unless the TSA has changed this rule recently?

OP
M

MacInWin

TSA changed the rules. If the bag can be laid flat, so that there are no other components on top of or underneath the laptop, you don't have to remove it from the bag. Here is their website on this: https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/2008/08/15/checkpoint-friendly-laptop-bag-procedures

Sue, I've looked at those, but they don't support but one laptop for the TSA requirements. I haven't been able to find one that holds two. I've found one plus tablet, but the tablet pocket isn't large enough for either laptop. I guess I'll keep looking. Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Hmm, never knew that, I just loathe the entire security process and to spite them I put everything in its own tray..:)

OP
M

MacInWin

That doesn't affect them, but it does impact the passengers behind you. To the screener, it's just another bunch of trays in an endless stream of them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.