Looking for a good set of speakers.

W

WhitE_RabbiT

Well guys, I'm off to college soon. I will be taking my PB with me.
Right now, I own a set of Klipsch 5.1's. I'm not so sure as to what I am going to do with them yet. Since my PB can't acheive 5.1 without external hardware, I'm debating taking them. I was almost thinking about purchasing 2 nice monitors, or a 2.1 system. Thing is, I don't really know where to start looking. I don't know too much about speakers either. Obviously I am looking for something nice, nothing extremely expensive, but I don't want cheap. I'm looking for good all around sound quality. Perhaps you guys could provide some suggestions?

Also, I'm debating even buying new speakers. Maybe a good set of headphones would suit me better coupled with my 5.1's and an M-Audio Sonica Theatre.

Thanks guys.

OP
N

nicholas

How about the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's? I think those are the best sounding 2-channel multimedia/computer speakers on the market.

OP
D

d4rr3n

Cheap/expensive are all relative terms. How much money are you looking to spend?

OP
W

WhitE_RabbiT

Well, since I already have the 5.1's, purchasing the 2.1's really wouldn't be worth it.

As far as price, somewhere in the hundreds I suppose. I guess nothing more than $500, altho I'm not even sure I want to go that high. I'm just trying to get ideas. Just looking for some good sound. The thing is, I don't really feel my Klipsch's are giving me great sound.

OP
D

d4rr3n

Well considering he already has the 5.1's and the 5.1's have a better subwoofer than the 2.1 it would make no sense to get the 2.1. You're really not going to get a pc speaker/sub combo that will beat the 5.1's. The klipsch are great by pc system standards, but it's not saying much. PC systems are generally 5 tiny underpowered low quality sattelites and a boomy overstated semi-subwoofer. Your only real option to get better sound is to look beyond the pc speaker/home theater in a box setups and look into getting quality separates. You could definitely get a quality 2 channel setup for under $500 that would blow any pc system out of the water. Setting up a whole 5.1 surround system with that stuff will cost you more than you're willing to budget though. You could also look into get a quality set of heaphones from sennheiser or grado, possibly some senn hd580's. IMO dollar for dollar a set of speakers cannot touch a good set of headphones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.