Looking at getting a new base mode Mac Mini for Premiere work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
Hello everyone. I have been thinking about getting the base mode Mac mini to use with premiere or final cut. I regularly edit 4K for my YouTube channel and strangely my dads late 2016 15” MacBook Pro handles 4K footage better than my editing PC! Leaving me to believe that the relatively low specs of the base Mac mini, with a ram upgrade on my own of course, might actually work out pretty well! Does anybody have any experience with 4K editing on this machine?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I don’t do video editing on my 2018 Mac Mini, and while I believe it ought to be up to the task, can’t help thinking the latest version of the 21.5in iMac wouldn’t be a better choice for your purposes. It can be had with internal GPU for not much more than the Mini, and will drive a 2nd Monitor if desired (I assume so)

EDIT: here is a 2017 model with Radeon Pro 560 for $1189 from the refurb store (usually good values)
Refurbished 21.5-inch iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Retina 4K display - Apple

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
Thanks for the idea! I did think about this, but do already have 3 monitors which I enjoy using. The Mac would more or less just be hooked up to edit, as I do use my editing pc to play games fairly often, much more often than editing videos. In the end, an iMac might just end up getting in my way when using the pc. :Oops:

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I understand, similar to my reasons for choosing the Mini. I use a Samsung 40in 4K HDTV as my primary monitor, so an iMac would just eat up desk space.
With the Mini, there is always the option of adding an external GPU if you find you need the additional horsepower

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.