Longterm Apple Mail errors, when fixed?

Reaction score
I have recently updated to Yosemite, which promises to be a major improvement. It might be, but as my main use is internet through Safari/Firefox and email through Apple Mail, I wonder if the latter was forgotten in the Yosemite innovation process. Too many longterm errors remain:

1. Apple Mail cannot count. When sending 1 (one) email, it might say "sending 28 of 29", typically. When receiving 3 emails, it might say "receiving 11 of 14".

2. Draft function duplicates and creates unnecessary drafts: When opening, editing and sending a draft, it does not remove the draft after all. All, some emails just worked on a bit, become drafts by themselves and might even multiply in the draft folder despite having been sent. The need to delete 9 drafts i.e takes time too, as there might be one important draft amongst the others wrongly there.

3. No spam detection: With all the spam being sent, sales of email addresses and unsolicited offers from the simplest of minds, where is spam detection? When I get an email I would love to have the choice to BLOCK immediately, with automatic deletion of email.

4. No true smart folders: Multiple "recovered" folders appear for no understandable reason. It would be better to put them in drafts and highlight them. Often it is just another unnecessary repeat of a sent mail. And I miss the elegance of Entourage 2009 in creating folders for various clients and groups (like "friends", "family" etc.)

I switched to Apple in 2003 as their innovation was stellar and I really believed in the quality philosophy of the company. There is much good in Yosemite but I have to ask, did Apple Mail go innovation by, this time around? Error correction is a long way from 2003, then reaction time was way shorter than it is with these errors with Mail which have been here for years.

When will all this be fixed? That would indeed be lovely.

M

MacInWin

1. The count is for the day. It's not a bug, it's how it works. So you send ONE email late in the day and it's number 29 of 29, it says so. I've never seen it say sending 28 of 29 unless it's sending two. Ditto for receive, which is where I see "11 of 14" when I first fire it up in the morning and it downloads all the overnight email.

2. Not seeing that here. Just tested it by creating a draft, saving it, then opening and editing it and saving again. One copy. Sent it. Disappeared from drafts, appeared in sent.

3. Spam detection comes from the email provider, generally. Mail, like most email programs, doesn't do much spam protection. Your ISP or mail provider should be the spam filter for you. If you are not happy with your service, look at pobox.com, an email forwarder. You have folks email you at [email protected], they filter out spam and forward it to your real email address. Boom!

4. Never seen that either. I use smart folders all the time to group emails.

So from where I sit, there are no bugs to be repaired to fix your challenges. So you should look for what may be wrong in your setup to get rid of that set of anomalous behaviors of Mail.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with all Jake said above.

On the Spam. Mail DOES have a junk filter that can be trained, but it's not the best in my usage the last 10 years at trapping all Junk. Like Jake said, a good filter at the ISP end rules! My ISP traps everything that is bad and so far really has not made any mistakes either.

To me overall the best Junk Filter in an email app is in Microsoft Live Mail. You can have it all or block just the one IP in a domain or add or block the whole domain if you want! Nothing else I have used in an email app is quite as good as Live Mail. But alas Windows only.

But if the junk never gets to you in the first place, you do not need to worry!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.