Long startup time on OSX10.9.5

Reaction score
My computer starts up with grey screen while opening all the usual programs. Takes a very long time, at least to me, during which time I cannot do anything. Is there a common reason for this? What should I do to try to lessen the start up time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I guess it depends on what you consider "a very long time" and how long that time actually is.

How many apps to do have in your Users & Groups Pref Pane Login Items?

If you have a lot there, that can sure slow down your boot time. ;)

OP
E
Reaction score
Formerly (quite a while back, since I just got around to asking this question), I signed in and the start up time was almost immediate. Now, I have to wait it seems several minutes while stuff is happening in the background, I suppose. Meanwhile, the applications that would normally open are gray. I looked in the Users Pref Pane and there are only 3 boxes checked, one of which is Safari, another is the Antivirus appl. and the 3rd is the wireless camera service.

OP
E
Reaction score
Oops, I was looking at the "hide" column. The Login Items listed include Safari, Microsoft Database Daemon, Dropbox, AdobeResourceSynchronizer, Wireless Camera Service, Image Transfer Utility and AntiVirus. I don't know if checking the "hide" box means they open but you don't see them, or what. I have a whole bunch of icons at the bottom of the screen that don't change much. Don't know if that has something to do with it either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You'll need to check and/or decide if you need or even want some of the login items even enabled. If they are not needed, just delete them with the "—" button.

But one you really don't need and can cause all kinds of slowdowns, not just at boot time is any AntiVirus software. I'd remove it from your Mac completely!!

Those "icons at the bottom of the screen" are in what is called the Dock, and are just aliases to the apps you may want to use or quit for your convenience.

Depending on your OS X version, each icon in the Dock will have a mark under it to show that it's open and running.

It sounds like you may want to open the Finder Help Center when the Finder is foremost and maybe start with the "Mac Basics" from its list of topics. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Remove all from the Login Items. Wonder you are not waiting hours not minutes. And why antivirus? And having a lot of icons on the desktop will sure slow things down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.