Login Sequence

Reaction score
Is it possible to set the startup sequence for programs when I turn on my computer? Is it possible to start a program with a minimized window? For example, Skype starts when I turn on my computer, but its window is smack dab in the middle of the Desktop. If it's possible, I'd like for it to start with a minimized window. I'd like for all startup programs to start with a minimized window. I've looked around System Preferences & I see no option to sequence the startup programs. Is it possible to do that?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro, 2007 iMac, 2007 Mac mini, iPad mini 2
This is possible through creating an AppleScript application to run at startup. For example, the code to minimize Skype would be the following:

tell application "Skype"
set minimized of window 1 to true
end tell

Create an AppleScript application and copy that code for each program, replacing Skype with the program name. Then set this as the last login item in System Preferences. This will cause all the programs you specified to minimize automatically at startup.

OP
D
Reaction score
This is possible through creating an AppleScript application to run at startup. For example, the code to minimize Skype would be the following:

tell application "Skype"
set minimized of window 1 to true
end tell

Create an AppleScript application and copy that code for each program, replacing Skype with the program name. Then set this as the last login item in System Preferences. This will cause all the programs you specified to minimize automatically at startup.
Please elaborate.
I suppose that I can use TextEdit instead of the AppleScript editor, but what is the extension? In what folder do I save it? Do I have to have a separate AppleScript for every program that I want to start minimized? I'm sure that the AppleScript editor has commenting capability. I suppose that I can comment out the Skype or whatever text instead of deleting the file, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as I know you will need to use the AppleScript Editor and save it as an Application file format (extension .app). You can save the application program anywhere you like; I suggest in your documents folder. The location does not matter as long as it is convenient for you and you are able to find it easily.

You do not have to create a separate Applescript for every program; instead you can add the same three lines for each program you want minimized. Below I have included three examples, Skype, Google Chrome, and iTunes. I have also added a 15 second delay so that the programs all launch before the AppleScript runs. Without this, the Applescript will try and run before the programs have launched and return an error. You can adjust this value based on your Mac's speed.

2z5p46c.png

Continue creating minimize commands for all of your startup programs using their application name, and then test the program by clicking the arrow. This will minimize the programs you had specified. Then save the AppleScript as an application.

29cb98j.png

Then go to login items under the Users System Preferences pane, and add your Applescript application. It should automatically run last.

2lw7mdd.png

This should minimize the programs you specified next time you login.

I hope this helped!

Last edited:
OP
D
Reaction score
As far as I know you will need to use the AppleScript Editor and save it as an Application file format (extension .app). You can save the application program anywhere you like; I suggest in your documents folder. The location does not matter as long as it is convenient for you and you are able to find it easily.

You do not have to create a separate Applescript for every program; instead you can add the same three lines for each program you want minimized. Below I have included three examples, Skype, Google Chrome, and iTunes. I have also added a 15 second delay so that the programs all launch before the AppleScript runs. Without this, the Applescript will try and run before the programs have launched and return an error. You can adjust this value based on your Mac's speed.

2z5p46c.png

Continue creating minimize commands for all of your startup programs using their application name, and then test the program by clicking the arrow. This will minimize the programs you had specified. Then save the AppleScript as an application.

29cb98j.png

Then go to login items under the Users System Preferences pane, and add your Applescript application. It should automatically run last.

2lw7mdd.png

This should minimize the programs you specified next time you login.

I hope this helped!

It worked! I didn't add it to the startup in Users, but Skype minimized when I clicked on the app name. I'll have to experiment. I looked around the script editor, but I saw no way to comment out the text. Is that possible? It doesn't appear so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe you can comment out the text by adding a # to the beginning of each line. For example, if I wanted to comment out this section where AppleScript minimizes Skype, I would do the following:

#tell application "Skype"
#set minimized of window 1 to true
#end tell

I'm happy this worked for you and am glad to help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.