logic board a1229 17 mac bk pro

Reaction score
have a early 2008 mac book pro 17 ..........want to keep and rebuild ..am at new speakers and battery next is the key board and screen ...the one thing ive run into is the acquisition of a new mother board which is obsolete in regards to apple .......i figure the mfg of that board may still have a back log or have a small inventory left over but my problem is i dont know who or where the mfg. may be located and many computer suppliers are either 30 day warranty or refurbished or have no idea at all ............. does anyone know the maker of apples logic boards during that time ( or anyone who rebuilds) ......i know the general attitude is just by a new one........ thanks i get it but would still like to rebuild....its like an old car restoration ......thanks for any help
dennis

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
have a early 2008 mac book pro 17 ..........

......i know the general attitude is just by a new one........

Nope (at least for me)…the general attitude is NOT to buy a new logic board. Why? A new logic board (if it could be sourced for a 2008 17" MacBook Pro)…would be very very expensive. Probably more expensive that a 100% complete and working 2008 17" MacBook Pro.

In many cases even getting a used or refurbished logic board would be too expensive…but sometimes not. What you want to do is this:

- check out eBay for logic boards
- go to Powerbookmedic.com and see how much their logic boards are
- before buying any logic board...check eBay to see how much a 2008 17" MacBook Pro in 100% working condition is selling for

HTH,

- Nick

OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
thank you nick

the guareentes for logic boards are questionable from the sources mentioned especially if im in another country ......thats why im looking for a new one as long as the cost dosent exceed 1000.00 ill be happy .......this mac bk pro was 3200.00 new so you can see were im coming from........thank you for your reply

Nope (at least for me)…the general attitude is NOT to buy a new logic board. Why? A new logic board (if it could be sourced for a 2008 17" MacBook Pro)…would be very very expensive. Probably more expensive that a 100% complete and working 2008 17" MacBook Pro.

In many cases even getting a used or refurbished logic board would be too expensive…but sometimes not. What you want to do is this:

- check out eBay for logic boards
- go to Powerbookmedic.com and see how much their logic boards are
- before buying any logic board...check eBay to see how much a 2008 17" MacBook Pro in 100% working condition is selling for

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
.......this mac bk pro was 3200.00 new so you can see were im coming from...

Sorry…but I actually don't understand where you are coming from.;) First let me say that an A1229 MacBook Pro is from "Late 2007" (not a 2008).

Sure…this Late 2007 17" MacBook Pro may have cost $3200 when it was new…but now (8 years later) it's only worth about $250-$300 (check eBay). So paying more than $250-$300 for a replacement logic board would not be a very good idea…when for $250-$300…you could purchase a 100% operational replacement for the same price.

Pay close to $1000 for a replacement logic board (as you seem to be willing to do)…would be absolutely fool-hardy!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 inch 2,6Ghz I7 - MacPro 5,1 3,2Ghz-6Core Xeon
For those 1000 you are willing to spend you can almost buy a new macbook pro. Just because something cost 3200 8 years ago doesn't mean that it is ok to put another 1000 in it, Believe me don't do that.

OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
logic board

nick and quinten,
the logic board is a late 2007 early 2008 release
youll just have to put me in a class of people that like to restore ......like the 41 chevy in grandmas garage .....an antique ......an old
biplane anything thats worthy of restoration ........its not about the money its about bringing something back to life ......not many people get it, it seems to be all about dollars and cents ......sure i can get a new i mac, a good one for 1400......but how many of the older apps that are fun and worth using am i going to be able to hold on to.....planned obsolesce just leads everyone into the trap of having to have in order to participate ....i for one dont like being manipulated into the future.....thanks for your input :) it is indeed appreciated
dennis

Sorry…but I actually don't understand where you are coming from.;) First let me say that an A1229 MacBook Pro is from "Late 2007" (not a 2008).

Sure…this Late 2007 17" MacBook Pro may have cost $3200 when it was new…but now (8 years later) it's only worth about $250-$300 (check eBay). So paying more than $250-$300 for a replacement logic board would not be a very good idea…when for $250-$300…you could purchase a 100% operational replacement for the same price.

Pay close to $1000 for a replacement logic board (as you seem to be willing to do)…would be absolutely fool-hardy!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Maybe but a 2007 computer is no way an antique!

Look around auction sites you will get one in going order for a hundred bucks.

OP
denniscampbell
Reaction score
logic board

harry,
thanks for the direction where might i find what you suggest.....ill check google and if you have any other direction please let me know .........thanks again
dennis

Maybe but a 2007 computer is no way an antique!

Look around auction sites you will get one in going order for a hundred bucks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
youll just have to put me in a class of people that like to restore ......like the 41 chevy in grandmas garage .....an antique ......an old
biplane anything thats worthy of restoration ........its not about the money its about bringing something back to life ......not many people get it, it seems to be all about dollars and cents ......sure i can get a new i mac, a good one for 1400......but how many of the older apps that are fun and worth using am i going to be able to hold on to.....planned obsolesce just leads everyone into the trap of having to have in order to participate ....i for one dont like being manipulated into the future.....thanks for your input :) it is indeed appreciated
dennis

Dennis. I understand what you're saying about restoring an old car (I have an older car I'm working on). Restoring an older computer is not really the same as restoring an old car. Restoring an old car makes sense because they are more rare & hard to find (and are costly in great condition). And generally older cars (desirable models) appreciate in value. You can't just go out and purchase a completely operational & restored 1965 Mustang (for example) without paying big bucks.

In this case with this 2007 MacBook Pro. There are too many 100% operational units available (eBay) for around $250. Spending $1000 on a computer that's worth $250 is not a good idea (spending 4x the value on a single part). Going back to the 1965 Mustang example. Let's say a completely restored 1965 Mustang is worth $40,000. Let's say you have a 1965 Mustang & it needs a new engine (similar to the logic board in a computer). It would be foolish to spend $160,000 on a replacement engine for a vehicle that has a total value of $40,000. For the same $160,000…you could purchase FOUR completely restored 1965 Mustangs.

Same thing with the 2007 17" MacBook Pro. You could purchase FOUR 100% operational 2007 17" MacBook Pro's for $1000 (if you were to spend up to $1000 on a replacement logic board).

In any case…you should not have to pay anywhere close to $1000 for a replacement logic board…this would be an insane amount. But something in the neighborhood of $250 (maybe more/maybe less)…would be more realistic. If you're lucky…maybe even between $100-$200. And if really lucky (eBay) under $100.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.