Locked Desktop

OP
J

Jix

Reaction score
Dear Rod and Jake,
Thank you both for all of your help. I have successfully added 16 GB memory, upgraded to El Capitan, and set up an encrypted folder, thanks to the two of you. Your instructions were so clear that you made it easy.
Joyce

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I just checked in ElCap and what Rod says to do still works the same.
Sorry Jake I wasn't very clear, those are the instructions for El Capitan. The new version of Disk Utility actually makes the process a little easier.
Feel free to copy or edit and pass on. I'm a big fan of this method as an alternative to FileVault full encryption.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Joyce...please do your Mac and yourself a favor. After you upgrade to ElCap, I strongly suggest that you do not install MacKeeper again. If you search this forum, most folks do not recommend having this app on your computer. It is known to cause more problems than it remedies.

OP
J

Jix

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately it auto installed, but I can uninstall it. Is there an app that you do recommend to replace MacKeeper?
Joyce

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
I feel the vast majority of the forumites use Onyx only for Mac maintenance and hard drive health. There are horror stories here about MacKeeper. Hopefully a senior member can take it from here about MacKeeper issues.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes I agree completely with the above. Get rid of it asap. AND the easiest way to do this is to use the uninstaller that comes in the MacKeeper folder. It will ask you to say why you wish to uninstall any reason will do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.