local network between mac osx yosemite and android

Reaction score
How can I create a local network from my macbook running yosemite that I can connect my android (nexus 5 / 7) device to.

if using internet sharing I can not get the android device to see the network.

(I need it to send OSC messeges via wifi from my android device to the computer)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I really don't have enough information. What app are you using (TouchOSC?) What OS version is on your macbook. What version OS is on your android?

From what I am guessing and if you are using TouchOSC, there is another app called TouchOSC bridge that I believe does the connecting.

h e x l e r . n e t | TouchOSC for Android

Since I am guessing at all this I can't do more without more information.

Lisa

OP
D
Reaction score
I really don't have enough information. What app are you using (TouchOSC?) What OS version is on your macbook. What version OS is on your android?

From what I am guessing and if you are using TouchOSC, there is another app called TouchOSC bridge that I believe does the connecting.

h e x l e r . n e t | TouchOSC for Android

Since I am guessing at all this I can't do more without more information.

Lisa

Dear lisa,

the macbook is running on OS X Yosemite 10.10
the android devises are Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 both running Android 5.0

I am not using touchOSC but what works for touchOSC should work for me unless it is touchOSC specific.
What I am using is an android app that I have made (in Processing 2.2.1) that remotely controls a processing sketch running on a macbook pro (OS X Yosemite 10.10).
this works fine when both are connected to my home WiFi but as the setup is intended to be an installation exposed in a museum I need the two to communicate over a local network.
there is WiFi in the space but it does not allow for static IP so if I would use that connection I would have to go to the venue every day to make sure my android app is sending the OSC messages to the correct IP (which doesn't really work).

I therefor want to create a local network on the macbook with a static IP that the tablet can connect to in order to enable it to send OSC messages to the computer.

The problem I am experiencing is that even though I can create a local network with a static IP the android device is not seeing it, and as I will be using a nexus 7 without sim card I can not create the connection in the other direction (macbook connects to network created by the nexus (or?))

I have previously done a similar setup with an ipad that works fine, where the ipad sees the computer as a device, but this option is not available in android and my interface wont run on an ipad so I need the nexus and the macbook to communicate.
(I would also be open to ANY other solution to the problem).

I have read on the internet that this can be done easily with a PC which I dont have but might be able to get from the venue but then I would have the problem that I cannot use the syphon framework that I need to communicate to Mad Mapper which I use to place the visual output.

I would be very very thankful for help.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about setting up your own network using OS X server? It runs in Yosemite as an app, cost $19.99, and is not that hard to set up. I have been playing with it on a MB Pro just to see how I would like it. Check out all the YouTube videos on how to set it up. This will give you an idea if it will work for you.

Currently at work we are running two Windows 2008 R2 servers and when it comes time where I am forced to upgrade I want to go with OS X Server. We are a non-profit and that $19.99 looks much sweeter compared to $1000 plus for Windows Server 2012.

Although I find it hard to believe that the venues you are setting up in can not setup reservations for dedicated ip addresses. Any basic router will do that.

You could also setup a router and create your own network (wouldn't need OS X Server) just for your MBpro and Android tablet.

Lisa

Last edited:
OP
D
Reaction score
What about setting up your own network using OS X server? It runs in Yosemite as an app, cost $19.99, and is not that hard to set up. I have been playing with it on a MB Pro just to see how I would like it. Check out all the YouTube videos on how to set it up. This will give you an idea if it will work for you.

Currently at work we are running two Windows 2008 R2 servers and when it comes time where I am forced to upgrade I want to go with OS X Server. We are a non-profit and that $19.99 looks much sweeter compared to $1000 plus for Windows Server 2012.

Although I find it hard to believe that the venues you are setting up in can not setup reservations for dedicated ip addresses. Any basic router will do that.

Lisa

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely check out OS X server,
concerning the static IP I was thinking the same but what they told me (although the person I was talking to did not seem all that computer literate) is that the internet connectivity in the space runs on a university server that requires log in though browser and that they do not know how to assign static IPs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the tip! I will definitely check out OS X server,
concerning the static IP I was thinking the same but what they told me (although the person I was talking to did not seem all that computer literate) is that the internet connectivity in the space runs on a university server that requires log in though browser and that they do not know how to assign static IPs.

I edited my previous post as something else occurred to me but anyway...

Two thoughts -

1. You could ask where the tech support for the university is located and go talk to them. They can set static ip's if they want to.

or

2. Eliminate the hassle of wondering if some new hire comes in and changes things up thus losing your ip reservations and just set up your own proprietary network between just the MB Pro and the tablet. Might have to buy a router but at least you would not have to worry about depending on their wireless for service.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.