Live Camera Feeds

E

.emo.

This can be labeled as the Dark Mac-forums thread. My school has recently added live video feeds outside each exit/entrance to the outdoors throughout the whole school. They have nothing better to spend there money on so they added them to catch kids smoking ciggarettes but thats besides the point.

What i was curious is how besides being in the control room for the cameras, to mess with them. Put fake streams of what is really going on. Like they did in Oceans 11 haha :). Maybe if that cant be done what can be so they dont know what is really going on. Any ideas. All ideas are welcome.

OP
P

PMJx2

your really thinking secret agent about this type of stuff....my only idea i have to ofer you is break em down..

OP
E

.emo.

PMJx2 said:
your really thinking secret agent about this type of stuff....my only idea i have to ofer you is break em down..

hahah thanks for the input....so far ive posted on 5 forums and everyone is so incredibly parental about it saying im breaking the rules and they dont think its legal....whatever haha.thanks for the barbaric yet effective response

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The first thing that comes to mind, is safety. There may have been violence crime, rape or even burglary. So I can see the need for the camera. To me that would make the school safer. I believe if a person is going to do something that is illegal, they are not going to do it in front of a building doorway. Due to possible traffic.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And the camera are not there to police smoking. That would truely be a waste of money.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you look at the problems going on at USC. You can see why the camera have been installed.

OP
E

.emo.

rman said:
If you look at the problems going on at USC. You can see why the camera have been installed.

not to be blunt....but your completely wrong i live in a rich stuck up town...where there has been NO crime (rape murder) or antying close for years there just rediculous and waste our taxes

OP
R

RobDreugan

.emo. said:
not to be blunt....but your completely wrong i live in a rich stuck up town...where there has been NO crime (rape murder) or antying close for years there just rediculous and waste our taxes

Not to be blunt...but you're completely wrong. I guarantee in any city there's crime that doesn't make the front page. I doubt it's rape or murder that they are trying to prevent necessarily, but I assure you that they didn't install hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of video surveillance equipment to catch a 14 year old kid smoking a 3 dollar pack of cigs.

Maybe it's to prevent vandalism, or make sure people aren't fighting on school grounds without them knowing. I can speculate as much as the next guy, but it's probably not w/o a decent reason.

Honestly, if you really wanted to get back at them and knew for sure it was to only catch smokers, when it could be spent for 100 other things public schools need, try to get that story in your school paper.

I'm sure they'd be pleased...

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think it's the american media scaring all the parents so they all scream murder and start installing camera's everywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I know what it is like ot live in a rich stuck up town where alot of people smoke and they waste tax dollars, but tampering with the schools cameras is not the way to deal with it, if your not smoking, there is nothing to worry about, and if you are smoking MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE!

OP
D

d-funct

you really want to get round the camaras? simply use a picture in front of it from roughly the same angle ... sounds crazy but try it at home with your camcorder ... oh and smoking kills and all that :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
IGNORE THIS POST

OP
I

irishllama

.emo. said:

I could already tell before i read this you we're in a rich stuck up town, by your account name.

Reaction score
I suggest that rather than worrying about the live video, you use you time at school to get a better grasp on the English Language.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
I dont think its a good idea to have live video feeds of a school. With the world we live in, you never know what type of pervet is watching. If they were a closed circuit video to watch for people breaking the law or fighting and things like that on school grounds then I can see it being of good use.

.emo. said:
hahah thanks for the input....so far ive posted on 5 forums and everyone is so incredibly parental about it saying im breaking the rules and they dont think its legal....whatever haha.thanks for the barbaric yet effective response

Well, you are breaking the law/rules. Its called vandelisim of property. And if I were an Officer in your town, I'd haul you in. You'd really only get a nice fine, but I'd make it all worth it. Then you wonder why we need to monitor some things that go on in town and schools and wonder why Police Officers get so annoyed with these vandelisim cases. They are annoying and take too much d@mn time to write up the report! We could be out on the street catching real criminals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
This thread is long over by the way... it's from back in january...

OP
R

rgivans

In order to connect to the cameras (only if they are IP Based, which most likely they are). You will need to find the IP address for the camera and the station it is reporting to. Is this a college or a High school? Not that it really matters but a High School might have a more easier setup to get into. Now Im not exactly sure how your going to find the IP of the desired camera you want to view. If your using a PC it will be alot easier to get into.

Start off by going into your browser (Firefox, IE) and typing 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.100 or 192.168.2.1 any of those 3 addresses will get you into the schools Network router from there you can now view each distrubuted IP address. They will most likely resemble that of Cam1:192.168.X.XXX

*This is for educational purposes only, Iam not held liable for anything done by you or anyone else."

OP
R

rgivans

Aptmunich said:
This thread is long over by the way... it's from back in january...

HAHAHA im a newb. I didnt even bother looking at the dates. But I answered the question, so the thread is worth a little something now. :headphone

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This thread is over a year old. lol

OP
R

rgivans

rman said:
This thread is over a year old. lol

haha yeah, I wonder if he is still looking in other places for an answer. :cool:

I just got done setting up a system like this for my boss at our new office, So I figured I would help out with a little knowledge I gained this pass weekend.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.