liquid damage: macbook wont sleep

jwg

Reaction score
I spilled liquid on my laptop a while ago, and did the things you're supposed to do. Almost everything is working fine and I have been using it for quite some time, the only issue is that it can't sleep. Either from closing the lid or from the drop down menu. Once it goes to sleep it will turn off and reboot. If the lid is closed this cycle goes on indefinitely. Also this cycle happens when the charger is plugged in but the computer is off. What I have been doing is just turing off the computer after every use.
Any suggestions for fixing this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any suggestions for fixing this?

Be thankful that's the only problem you've encountered. Spills are unpredictable and can easily render a $2000 machine useless in a mili-second. Very likely some liquid seeped onto the logic board and possibly shorted a circuit out. If you took your Mac to Apple for diagnosis and repair, they would tell you that the logic board needs to be replaced. From the many spill threads we get here in Mac Forums, that's the only repair that I know which would maybe fix your non sleep problem. Might be best to live with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Only fix was keep all liquids away and as chscag says, you are lucky to have anything working.

Reaction score
Just some advice, maybe take it to a private computer repair shop and have them open the bottom casing up just to take a peek inside and see what's going on with the logic board.

Although this may be a minor issue from your liquid damage, over time you might run into a bigger problem with your MBP.

There could be a short in your logic board that is affecting one of the LVDS connectors which is holding back the computer from recognizing to sleep from your liquid spill.

I would just make sure so it doesn't get any worse and you don't lose your information completely!

Hope this helps. Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do not follow that advice please. If you want the logic board looked at take it to Apple. If it works use it, if not farewell.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just some advice, maybe take it to a private computer repair shop and have them open the bottom casing up just to take a peek inside and see what's going on with the logic board.

Would you recommend "Platinum Plus Services"??;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Its not that we would or wouldn't recommend ourselves, its just we know how the Apple store is when it comes to liquid damage. The Apple store will NOT repair a liquid damaged Logic Board, I guarantee it! They will only recommend it to be replaced. Regardless of it being under warranty or not, water damage is NOT covered. The good thing with repair shops as ourselves is that we could possible fix the issue with very little effort (which equals very little cost), especially since most of the features of the machine are still functional.

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Its not that we would or wouldn't recommend ourselves, its just we know how the Apple store is when it comes to liquid damage. The Apple store will NOT repair a liquid damaged Logic Board, I guarantee it! They will only recommend it to be replaced. Regardless of it being under warranty or not, water damage is NOT covered.

I'm fully aware of all this. I was teasing with what I posted above!;)

I've read & replied to so many liquid damage threads that I've lost count!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.