Lion OSX on Macbook 2.0Ghz - good idea or bad idea?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
O

OM2

Reaction score
Got this:

"yes you will need to update your snow leopard to latest snow leopard v10.6.8.. in order to upgrade your system, But if you want a fresh installation you can use the device directly without updating your snow leopard.."

The key is Upgrade. If you just do a fresh install and not upgrade, you can skip Snow Leopard.

Do you still need to upgrade to snow Leopard before upgrading to Lion with the USB Thumb Drive? - Apple Store (U.S.)

OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive - Apple Store (U.S.)

well, what u say makes perfect sense to me

see this link: How to install Lion over Leopard | Macworld

the guy talks about the 'legal' terms and conditions and mentions how apple stipulate u HAVE to upgrade from Snow Leopard

but that in itself makes now sense - i don't want to upgrade - i just want to install from fresh - i want to wipe my hard drive and JUST install!

quite upset now

i told the guy on the phone that i was prepared to go to a store there and then and just buy a Lion USB stick - i told him that i needed the OSX super urgently

he told me: no, you MUST have snow leopard in the first instance

the money actually isn't the point at all - just a case of wasting time and effort is the main issue for me :(

OP
O

OM2

Reaction score
i just read the text on ur link to the apple store
ur 100% right as far as i can see

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
well, what u say makes perfect sense to me

see this link: How to install Lion over Leopard | Macworld

the guy talks about the 'legal' terms and conditions and mentions how apple stipulate u HAVE to upgrade from Snow Leopard

but that in itself makes now sense - i don't want to upgrade - i just want to install from fresh - i want to wipe my hard drive and JUST install!

quite upset now

That MacWorld article was written BEFORE the Lion on USB stick was available.

At the time the article was written...the only way to get Lion was via download...and to be able to download Lion...you needed at least OS 10.6.6 to have the app. store.

The Lion on USB stick was released about a month after the article.

- Nick

p.s. Stop talking...and start buying (Lion on USB stick)!!!:)

OP
O

OM2

Reaction score
p.s. Stop talking...and start buying (Lion on USB stick)!!!:)

thats the problem :(
i ordered snow leopard after talking to the person from apple
thats what i did - stop talking and started buying - thats what got me in trouble. i should have stopped and hesitated and asked for opinions - i thought i was talking to the experts at apple
not my fault :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats the problem :(
i ordered snow leopard after talking to the person from apple
thats what i did - stop talking and started buying - thats what got me in trouble. i should have stopped and hesitated and asked for opinions - i thought i was talking to the experts at apple
not my fault :(

If you already ordered Snow Leopard...it's really no big deal...and you'll save a few bucks in the end.:)

All you have to do once you get your Snow Leopard disk is:

- do a back up just in case
- Install Snow Leopard
- launch software update to get the latest version of Snow Leopard
- launch the Mac App Store
- create an account
- download Lion ($29.99)
- BEFORE installing Lion make a Lion boot disk (if you want). This MUST be done BEFORE installing Lion. Do an internet search for instructions.
- Install Lion
- run software update to get the latest version of Lion

Good to go,:)

- Nick

OP
O

OM2

Reaction score
nick

time is my issue
i might just go and buy lion on a stick tmrw
i'll also call apple and tell them off + demand a refund
i could be waiting 3 - 7 days to get snow leopard

>> - BEFORE installing Lion make a Lion boot disk (if you want). This
>> MUST be done BEFORE installing Lion. Do an internet search for instructions.
out of curiosity, why is it necessary to do before?

thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
time is my issue
i might just go and buy lion on a stick tmrw
i'll also call apple and tell them off + demand a refund
i could be waiting 3 - 7 days to get snow leopard

You gotta do what you gotta do. Having a Snow Leopard disk is not a bad idea. You never know when it might come on handy...and it's only $29 bucks.:)

out of curiosity, why is it necessary to do before?

Because after Lion is installed...the installer file that was downloaded is auto-deleted.

- Nick

OP
O

OM2

Reaction score
thanks for the reply
u can actually download again - there's a few basic instructions u have to follow
(i'm sure u know all about that anyway)

but it does mean downloading 4+ GB - better just to keep a backup in the first place i supposed

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the reply
u can actually download again - there's a few basic instructions u have to follow
(i'm sure u know all about that anyway)

Yes I did know that.;)

Just wanted to mention about making the Lion boot disk before installing Lion...since if your computer crashes for some reason (let's say the hard drive dies)...and you don't have any sort of boot disk...then being able to redownload Lion doesn't help if your computer isn't working & you cannot connect to the internet.;)

Usually the last thing folks want to do AFTER installing Lion...is redownload the Lion install file to make a boot disk. Usually the first thing folks want to do is use their computer & "play" with Lion. Making a boot disk is pretty much the farthest thing from their mind. Then they have a problem, need a boot disk...and they don't have one.:(

We've seen this EXACT scenario here on Mac-Forum lots & lots of times!;)

This is where having a Snow Leopard disk can come in handy as well. But if you have a Lion boot disk, then that's even better.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.